The Walrus Was Paul

by MoneurMallard 35 Replies latest jw friends

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Please don't be long please don't you be very long
    Please don't be long or I may be asleep

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Considering that the Gospels and acts were written after Paul, as well as the pastoral letters, you'd think that someone would have mentioned that Paul was a "false teacher", but they didn't.

Acts clearly states that Paul was accepted.

The closest we get to the fact that Paul was a bit difficult to understand at times, is Peters admission of such:

2Peter 3:14-16

14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, 15 and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Why is Paul so controversial?

Well for one thing we have MORE of his writings than anyoen elses and for another, most were directed at specififc people for specific situations and were taken as "general rules" by later theologians.

Which was incorrect since Paul himself says that he was a "gentile for the gentile and Jew for the Jew", which leads us to believe that Paul wrote and preached in a way that his INTENDED AUDIENCE of the time/area/religious background, could understand.

• talesin
    talesin

sorry to be off-topic, but Shador, I loved this :: Gu, gu, ga-joob.

Great musical interpretation!

t

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Paul was the towering figure of what became orthodoxy. If I had a doubt, I would go with Paul over others. Of course, I am referring to authentic Pauline theology not witness crap. Ehrman speaks of early christianities, not christianity. Paul's impact on the church was so outsized. It is safe to say that Paul founded Christianity in a sustainable form. Jesus did not.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Writting songs while of LSD is Fun!

And "Religion is the opium of the people."

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Paul was the towering figure of what became orthodoxy. If I had a doubt, I would go with Paul over others. Of course, I am referring to authentic Pauline theology not witness crap. Ehrman speaks of early christianities, not christianity. Paul's impact on the church was so outsized. It is safe to say that Paul founded Christianity in a sustainable form. Jesus did not.

It would perhaps be more correct to say that Paul was instrumental in founding Christian Theocracy.

Paul is a controversial figure because of many passages taken out of context and out of the correct "applicable situation" and yet, how can ANYONE deny this passage as being "Of Christ"?

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues [a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, [b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

paul was a jehovah's witness.

• talesin
    talesin

And "Religion is the opium of the people."

Witness.... one of my favourite quotes.

tal

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

paul was a jehovah's witness.

Well, that's just mean, LOL !