Are You Invisible -- to Yourself? Do I Have To Give Up ME to be Loved by God?

by Lost-In-Translation 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Lost-In-Translation
    Lost-In-Translation

I truly believe many JWs suffer from what is described below. The GB is constantly emphasizing "serving others" and "never rocking the boat" or "take the discipline even if it was not your fault" or "be a peacemaker no matter what even if your feelings are trampled on."

When I was a JW I never let anyone -especially any congregation elder- to walk over me - never. More than once I had to tell elders -mostly those who were from Bethel- that I was not a Bethalite that they can just give orders to and expect that I jump and obey. One time a Bethel elder left the rudest voicemail on my home phone about a supposed misunderstanding about organizing security at a Kingdom Hall building site. He just kept complaining how I "never called anyone nor coordinated things" - which was not the case since I did organize a security detail for the night and I was one of the people who stayed from midnight to 3:00 AM! I sent an email to the entire elder body and reported how rude the bethel elder was on the phone.

I just see that the JW Watchtower culture tries to make people feel small and insignificant. How they are just "insignificant pieces of dust" "sinners that don't deserve mercy" or "just follow orders and even if it turns out bad for you and your family at least you obeyed." If only more JWs would decide to stop being invisible and stand up for themselves.

Are You Invisible -- to Yourself?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margaret-paul-phd/standing-up-for-yourself_b_980081.html?view=print&comm_ref=false Posted: 9/27/11 08:44 AM ET Read more Emotional Intelligence , Healthy Living Health News , Healthy Living Mind , Making Yourself Seen , Making Yourself Visible , Standing Up For Yourself , Healthy Living News

Do you sometimes feel invisible to others regarding your feelings and needs?

Ellen was brought up to be invisible. She was taught to be very tuned into others feelings and needs, but to never have any of her own. Her family made it clear that her job was to give to them, but to never expect anything in return. As a result, Ellen learned to be totally tuned out to her own feelings and needs. It was as if she, as a person, didn't really exist other than to be there for others.

When Ellen's feelings and needs did surface, she would tell herself that they weren't important; that she was strong and could handle not having her feelings cared for and/or her needs recognized. She convinced herself that if she just cared enough about others, others would eventually care about her. It never happened.

The inner stress of never attending to her own feelings and needs, and always feeling so invisible to others is a hard thing to deal with. Unfortunately, Ellen is now also dealing with cancer and finally has to attend to herself.

Many of us have learned to be invisible -- to ourselves and to others. What are some of the ways you create invisibility?

• Do you remain silent, not speaking up for yourself, when feeling discounted or unseen by others?
    • Do you ignore your own feelings and needs in deference to others?
    • Do you go along with what others want, even if you really want something else?
    • Do you accept blame for things that you know are not really your responsibility?
    • Do you put aside your own opinions and accept the opinions of others to be accepted?
    • Do you accept disrespectful behavior from others, finding ways to excuse the behavior?
    • Do you pretend everything is okay when you are really feeling lonely or sad?
    • Are you conflict-avoidant, preferring peace at any cost rather than rock the boat?
    • Are you carrying too much of the load at home or at work, without complaint?
    • Do you pretend to like a food, a movie, a topic of conversation or sex, rather than run the risk of disapproval or rejection?
    • Do you allow yourself to be violated in any way -- physically, emotionally, verbally, sexually -- to avoid rejection?
    • Do you allow others anger or bullying to control you into doing what they want?
    • Do you do everything yourself, never asking others for help?
    • Do you care-take others feelings, telling yourself you are responsible for their feelings, while ignoring responsibility for your own feelings?

How often do you end up feeling unappreciated , unseen and not valued? How much of this is a reflection of how you treat yourself?

If your own feelings and needs are invisible to yourself, they may end up being invisible to others. It's unrealistic to constantly put yourself aside, and then expect others to value and respect you. Anytime you tolerate uncaring or disrespectful behavior in others to avoid conflict, you are training others to see you as invisible, and to not care about your feelings and needs.

If you have been allowing yourself to be invisible for a long time, it can be a big challenge to start to care about yourself. You need to be willing to go through a difficult period of feeling others anger and resentment toward you. After all, you trained them for years to not have to care about you or see you, and now you are changing the rules. They won't like it, but they will eventually respect you for it. You will also discover in the process of caring about yourself, who really cares about you and who has just been using you. Those people who really care about you will eventually applaud your self-care, while those who were just using you will go away, or be angry with you for changing.

It takes great courage to shift from invisibility to being seen and valued. It takes great courage to be willing to lose others rather than continue to lose yourself. Yet, your own life depends upon it. Hopefully, you will not wait until you are ill or feel alone and cast aside by others, to start to practice loving self-care .

This means being willing to take personal responsibility for your own feelings and needs, rather than taking care of everyone else in the hopes they will eventually take care of you. You can start today by practicing tuning into your own feelings and needs -- acknowledge and value them, and take loving action. If you are ever going to feel cared for and loved, it has to start with you caring about and being loving to yourself.

This Blogger's Books fromAmazon indiebound Healing Your Aloneness: Finding Love and Wholeness Through Your Inner Child Healing Your Aloneness: Finding Love and Wholeness Through Your Inner Childby Margaret Paul, Erika J. Chopich Do I Have To Give Up ME to be Loved by GOD? Do I Have To Give Up ME to be Loved by GOD?by Margaret Paul, Neale Donald Walsch

Follow Margaret Paul, Ph.D. on Twitter: www.twitter.com/innerbonding

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, I used to let my parents walk all over me. I was taught as a child that my feelings didn't matter. Now that I've put boundaries in place my parents are very upset. My father won't speak to me and my family are not allowed in their house. It's their loss.

Great article, I'm gonna post it on Facebook.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Interesting article, dear LIT (peace to you!). I am of the mind that, while we have little/no choice as children, once we become adults we can choose to be invisible or the extent to which we are invisible/visible. But I feel like having a little fun, so I would like to respond to the personal "test", if you will indulge me. Thank you!

• Do you remain silent, not speaking up for yourself, when feeling discounted or unseen by others?

Depends on the subject, circumstances, who's involved, and how important speaking up is to me. I am mom of two kids who were once teenagers. Teenagers tend to discount... or not see a whole lot of stuff. Comes with the territory... and most of us went through that, too.

• Do you ignore your own feelings and needs in deference to others?

Same as above. Sometimes MY feelings don't matter because it's not ABOUT me. I say this because I have a few friends/family members who tend to make EVERYTHING about them. Even the decisions of their adult children. Which I absolutely don't understand. I might feel that you shouldn't move out of town... because I need you here (emotionally, or whatever)... or I might feel that you should have kids because I want grandkids... etc., but it really isn't ABOUT what I feel or want. It's YOUR life, not mine... and I should just support YOUR decisions... without interjecting MY feelings or needs into the picture.

• Do you go along with what others want, even if you really want something else?

Of course, I do! I want to see "Crazy, Stupid, Love"... he wants to see "The Debt." We can only see one due to money/time constraints. Oh, heck, let's see "The Debt" and I'll go see the other another time. He's happy... I'm happy. Besides, he often acquiesces and sees what I want to see... rather than what HE wants to see, as well. Besides, it gives me an Ace card to use later... on something more "important" ("I'd rather dine at Red Lobster than Sizzler, this time!"- )

• Do you accept blame for things that you know are not really your responsibility?

Of course. Again, depending on the situation, who doesn't? Do I always accept blame? Of course, not.

• Do you put aside your own opinions and accept the opinions of others to be accepted?

Yep. I'm a girl and you tend to have to do that to "get along" ("Girl, what do you think of these shoes? Aren't they fabulous!?" Now, I could say the TRUTH: "Okay, look, I think they're utterly horrid and you're gonna look like a hoochie from across the tracks in them"... but why do I CARE? I would much rather say, "Hey, they're cool, girl, yeah, you really oughta get those!" Same thing with clothing, furniture, decorating, lipstick color, and all the other things women look to other women for approval of. If YOU like, I LOVE it! Just don't try to make ME buy/wear/use/take it.)

• Do you accept disrespectful behavior from others, finding ways to excuse the behavior?

Again, depends. I mean, I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt ("Aw, he's just acting like that 'cause he hasn't had any in awhile. Let's find him a boyfriend so he can get over himself"...).

• Do you pretend everything is okay when you are really feeling lonely or sad?

Well, yeah! I mean, why burden others with MY mood? ("Don't pay me any mind, hon... it's that time of the month, you know how I get.") Seriously... this, too, shall pass... and it always does...

• Are you conflict-avoidant, preferring peace at any cost rather than rock the boat?

At ANY cost? I think folks here would know I was lying if I said yes to this one. But when I can, yeah, I avoid conflict. Life is WAY too short for such indulgences...

• Are you carrying too much of the load at home or at work, without complaint?

Define "complaint". I will make it known that I need help, absolutely. But complain... that's not my tack. I ask for help and in a way where the person being asked knows I'm not just whining for no reason. I give reasons WHY I need help... and the consequences if I don't get it ("Well, I need you to... because if you don't I can't/won't... and so YOU won't get/have/be able to..."). Worked with my kids and both husbands. Doesn't always works with employers (the ones I consider jerks), but works enough...

• Do you pretend to like a food, a movie, a topic of conversation or sex, rather than run the risk of disapproval or rejection?

Sometimes, yeah. I mean, doesn't EVERYONE... even the "visible"? Surely, we don't want to be SO... ummmmm... self-oriented... that we NEVER "pretend" so as to perhaps save another's feelings. If not, then you've never been the parent of a 5-year-old ("Oh, yes, honey... that picture you drew of Mommy is BEAUTIFUL! Why are my eyes green, though? Oh, because you wish I had green eyes? Yes, of course. So do I!")

Or a 15-year-old/new wife/husband... learning to cook: "Oh, that's really... ugh, gulp... GOOD, honey! Next time you might want to add just a pinch more of salt, but otherwise it tastes JUST like what we had a Chez Ritzy last week! GOOD for you! Where'm I going? Oh, I just wanted to check something in the bathroom - I think I hear the toilet running..."

• Do you allow yourself to be violated in any way -- physically, emotionally, verbally, sexually -- to avoid rejection?

If you've ever had a job where you weren't the boss, the answer to this for EVERYBODY is yes, at least as to verbally. Such "violation" can be subtle, true, but they occur. If you allow the others... from ANYONE once you reach adulthood... then none of the other questions matter. This one alone should prompt you to take a look at what's going on in your life.

• Do you allow others anger or bullying to control you into doing what they want?

No. Not even if they call me "crazy" or "delusional" in the process - LOLOLOL!

• Do you do everything yourself, never asking others for help?

I do a LOT... but I think people who do this are not as invisible as the author suggests. Rather, I think doing everything is actually a manipulative way to get attention ("I HAVE to do EVERYTHING myself!") No, you don't. You may CHOOSE to do it... but that's usually because you don't think anyone else can do it AS WELL as you. Instead, you tend to critique and criticise everything THEY do... with it never measuring up to YOUR "standard." Sorry, but I don't buy this one as making someone a "victim" of invisibility...

• Do you care-take others feelings, telling yourself you are responsible for their feelings, while ignoring responsibility for your own feelings?

If you're a halfway decent parent, you do. As a parent, you pretty much took a silent vow to put what YOU want/need/feel on hold... for about 16-18 years. You chose to bring another human being into the world (and, yes, you chose... 'cause there are so many options where you didn't have to... including abstinence, if not celibacy... but since you didn't choose any of THEM... well...). And so, you are responsible for THAT person's feelings for a bit of time. May not LIKE it... but that really is the truth...

• How often do you end up feeling unappreciated , unseen and not valued?

In my employment and non-personal life, often. But that's about 90% of the working population. Employers tend to BE unappreciative. In my personal life, however... never. I am truly blessed in this regard as my husband, children, family, friends ALL tend to let me know how much they appreciate and value me. Because I let THEM know. Reciprocity is a GOOD thing, in this regard.

• How much of this is a reflection of how you treat yourself?

I'm sure I'm somewhat responsible, in my employment life. But I think it's because I'm really not as "ambitious" as others want me to be... and that frustrates them. Ah, well...

So, there's my take on it. I know, I know... I can hear some of the gasps from the peanut gallery. But don't take it too seriously, dear ones; this is, after all, an internet board. It's not like I'm going to come into your home and make you feel/see as I do on these things. Just having some... ummmmm... non-heavy topic-related "fun".

Peace!

SA, on her own (without question!)...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thanks for the giggle Shelby :D

• AGuest
    AGuest

You're quite welcome, dear Miz Josie (the greatest of love and peace to you and yours, girl!). Dang that editing, though - LOLOLOL!

Peace, chile!

SA, on her own...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit