New To Wine - Looking for Suggestions

by HintOfLime 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Hi everyone,

Usually, in the evenings I like to relax, watch a movie or a comple TV shows, and sip on some vodka.

Lately, however, I've gotten into reading again - and vodka just isn't the right drink. The characters in the books are often read of drinking this wine or that - which has given me a bit of a craving for a good red wine. Something relaxing, and easy enough that it doesn't get you buzzed after a few sips (inhibiting my ability to read, etc.)

I've read a few sites with suggestions - but frankly itis a bit overwhelming, and just not specific enough to really guide me as to where to begin. I went to the liquor store - there are so many bottles to choose from, who knows what you are getting?

Any suggestions for someone new to wine? (I'm looking for something light, preferably red, and I have a bit of sweet tooth.)

- Lime

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Drink lots of it

ok, thats probably not a good idea, what I mean is, if you can trial/sample as many varieties as you are able & find out what you enjoy most.

I'm quiet partial to a shiraz-cabernet myself, but I enjoy most wines red or white, but I keep away from the realy sweet ones, they make me feel like sh..

Go on some vineyard/winery tours if you have them in your area.

Look for any wines from New Zealand

Kevin

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

If you have a sweet tooth, try a Moscato. Barefoot (if I drink moscato, that's what I drink) or Sutter Home are good ones that are reasonably priced and won't wipe you out after a couple glasses. It's not red, but it's very sweet.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Go on some vineyard/winery tours if you have them in your area.

Hmm. I've toured some vineyards in northern CA.. but now that I think about it - I do know of a place a few miles west of hear that specializes only in local wines.

I should take a trip over there - I think they might even ofter free tasting for some of it.

Thanks.

- Lime

• mummatron
    mummatron

If sweetness is more your criteria, then you might prefer a sweet or pale cream sherry to sip slowly. They make for a good nightcap.

We tend to drink a South African Cabernet-Shiraz blend as a table wine, and look out for special offers on Shiraz, Pinot Noir and Rioja for a nice evening drink.

Other than tasting them for myself, everything I learned about wine came from watching a movie called Sideways.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

You are in california, your options are almost unlimited to the amount of tours available, google a winery tour search

• just a reader
    just a reader

I like Bogle brand Cabernet Sauvignon. not so sweet, but really good.

• nateb
    nateb

If you're looking for sweet, check out some Ports and Sherries.

Croft makes a nice Port. Been in business for over 400 years.

Harvey's Bristol Cream is an inexpensive sherry. It's enjoyable on the rocks with a twist of lime.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

A light red would be a Pinot Noir, though usually quite dry. Cabernets, Merlots and Shiraz are all fine full bodied reds. My personal preference is a nice Zinfandel. if you are in California, I would suggest Rombauer Zinfandel...it is not too costy and has a big fruit forward flavor that makes you think of some sweetness. I know that BevMo carries it and at a decent price.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Thanks, everyone.

I'm not in California, actually.. I'm in Colorado. I have grown grapes here, and they do grow wonderfully. I'll try a few local wines - and if they don't hit it, I'll expand from there.

Now the really hard question: Which cheese will go best with that wine...

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit