CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured

by botchtowersociety 37 Replies latest social current

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Indeed, but before there were "physics" those problems still existed.

Physics is an awesome science since, it seems, to be the most "error" free of sceicnes because of its mathematical precision.

That said, there is no reason the think that the physics of today will be the same as what we may have even 100 years from now.

Wasn't it not too long ago that the atom was viewed as the most smallest particle?

I am just saying that, perhaps, one day, light speed may be just another speed, it may be the we find that thought can travel faster than light, who knows?

• garyneal
    garyneal

Botchtower, or shall I say, Burn The Ships,

What does this do to your argument that you directed towards Perry regarding the age of the Universe?

• glenster
  • Glander
    Glander

This, theoretically, implies that it really is possible to go back in time, maybe just for a blink, not enough time to pick lotto numbers.

• Robdar
    Robdar

My eyes got wide when I read the article. I cannot wait to find out more.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

What does this do to your argument that you directed towards Perry regarding the age of the Universe?

At this point, nothing. Speed of light is still speed of light. These are neutrinos, not photons....and independent verification is necessary.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Physics is an awesome science since, it seems, to be the most "error" free of sceicnes because of its mathematical precision. . . . PSac

I both agree and disagree Psac . . .

Quantum Physics can be expressed with mathematical certainties, I agree. But I believe there remain a few uncertainties conceptually within this area of science also . . .

Classic "Partical Theory" understanding satisfies the mathematics but still doesn't fully identify the true nature of the particle itself . . . ie what is the smallest particle actually made of? Electron-positron annhilation produces photons which exhibit both wave and particle properties (wave-particle duality). How both the wave and particle properties are actually produced, still has a small degree of conceptual uncertainty as far as I can see.

This experiment may be related to other incongruities particle theory finds hard to explain.

Someone may put me right on that, as I'm no scientist . . . but it's an interesting development for them to grapple with.

• darthfader
    darthfader

I'm sure they have thought of this, but I don't think there there ever is a "complete vacuum", virtual particle may create a medium that slows down photons, but neutrinos are weakly interacting and may not be affected by the virtual particles in the vacuum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particle

.02 worth

IANAPP (I Am Not A Particle Physicist)

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I just heard about this on NPR. I'm going to have to find quiet time to read and understand it---but didn't Einstein theorize that nothing could move faster than light? I am very weak when it come to physics, but for a time, I tried to devote myself to understanding e=mc 2.

I will have to go back to that. I've already lost a lot of it. For those interested in an explantation that the physics challenged may be able to grasp, a great book is Why Does E=mc2?: (And Why Should We Care?)

For a while, I felt like a genius--but as you can see---retained very little. Time to read it again.

• garyneal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit