Does A City Have A Right To Limit "Bible Study" In A Home With A Group Of People?

by minimus 18 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I saw an article today about a ban on home Bible studies in California (San Juan Capastrano). If more than 3 were involved, it was considered by the town, a "church".

I don't think this was posted here.

To me, this is really going too far!!!

• minimus
    minimus

The homeowners were originally fined $300 and if they have their group again without the city's permission, the fine will be $500!

They have Sunday morning and Thursday afternoon meetings with sometimes up to 50 people.

• Farkel
    Farkel

min,

Cities and all forms of government have no rights, only powers given to them (and that can be taken from them) by the people. Only people can have rights, and we have the right peaceably assemble. The First Amendment guarantees it and no chicken shit little city can make any law that trumps the Constitution. If this gets that far, the Supreme Court will toss that law so far, it will never be able to be found.

Farkel

• tec
    tec

There is another thread on this... let me go find it. BRB.

• tec
  • minimus
    minimus

I see Terry brought this case up. Good!

Farkel, how are you???? I miss you here!

• VM44
    VM44

Klingon Rules of Occupation

From this day on, no public assemblages of more than three people.
    All publications to be cleared through this office.
    Neighbourhood controls will be established, hostages selected.

By order of Kor, military governor of Organia San Juan Capastrano

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The First Amendment bars such action, as prob. does the California Const'n. I don't have time to read the link with details and details matter. If there some public health and safety concerns, fire code problems, etc. the city could enforce them only if they were neutral and there was clearly no intent to target the exercise of religion. Free Exercise of Religion in the United States is prob. our highest ranked right.

• minimus
    minimus

I think the city is looking for dough.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Agreed with Farkel.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit