Victoria, Australia: Report on Sept. 13th hearing involving Steven Unthank

by AndersonsInfo 26 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

"One observation that could generally be noted by anyone paying particular attention to the proceedings was the relationship that Mr. Unthank had with those in court. He was comfortable, appeared to know everybody, talked with the Police Prosecutor, and was on a first name basis with almost everyone including the Bench Clerk who is responsible for the administration of the court.

Even the Police Prosecutor, who had about twenty cases to deal with, appeared to be friends with Mr. Unthank. I would not be surprised if they met up for a few beers afterwards."

Well just from an objective standpoint, those statements really worry me. Whether you agree with the Witness side or not, you should still agree that it is ethically dangerous to be flirting with "court room cronyism" like that. I fear that they are likely to end up with another kangaroo court witch hunt like the Walsh trial if they are not careful...

As for the "they got accused therefore they have to step down" arguments, I think that those are rather exagerated. Witnesses get accused of all kinds of silly things all the time because of religious bias and persecution and such (the conscientious objectors in Armenia and other countries have been "accused" and often jailed, but does that mean that they should be disqualified from serving their congregations?).

Let Mr. Unthank actually prove his case first (since has the burden of proof), then you all can start calling for resignations =P

• Gayle
    Gayle

I am concerned about the lawsuit on the "FDS." Not a corporation with names. Of course, the Faithful and Discreet Slave" group is one of the primary doctrines unique to Jehovah's Witnesses. In a WT a few months ago, it stated they (GB) don't even keep a list of these names of partakers. Ironic, since JWs are taught this group are specially chosen to direct the 'other' sheep. But no names??? (They have lists of everything else: their corporations, their pubs., their pioneers, hour numbers, memorial attendance #s, etc., etc.)

2010 Service Report showed 11,202 partakers. Well, maybe Steven Unthank can show the court the WTS admission 11,202 members. That would be good to hear how the WTS would try to get out of that one in court. Ha-ha! (Yet, they could round up all 7 million publisher names around the world if they wanted to because the congregations have their numbers for sure). Do not the anointed partakers have a special connection to God to get "new light?" Well, probably over half are women, so there goes their direction authority or vote. Then, any under 30 or 40 yrs old are questioned as valid. Then, there are those that even the WT acknowledged are mentally unsound. Not leaving too many left. To presume, there are at least 7 (the 'un-magnificent 7,' the GB. Actually FDS=GB, period.

The FDS, with any spirit direction or power, is a figment of their imagination.

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

@Gayle

But then again, everything that you talk about boils down to simple religious differences and value judgments. While those things are all well and good in a casual conversation, they don't belong in a court of law.

And as far as the court case goes, some of the parties that Mr. Unthank named were indeed quite silly and unnecessary for achieving the stated legal goals. Heck, he might as well have just called the angels or God himself to the stand...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Teary Oberon..

Considering how judicial comitees work, I am suprised at your concern for bias. Rest assured that most humans are decent and most professionals are exactly that. One day I sincerely hope you leave the WT bubble so you can see for yourself. I found it quite a beautiful realisation.

If they are guilty they are guilty, if not they are not. Of course he knows them all, its his local court. This is Austrailia, where driveways are longer than highways and 'neighbours' are visited via helicopter.. Does it mean every single one of them can't do their job?...... Maybe its a conspiracy from Satan, afterall he did start World War 2 just to attack the governing body of the time.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I keep an eye on their legal cases and they do regularly hire 'worldly' lawyers for some cases. Probably the case here.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Gayle's post was 2 years ago, but I felt a nit-picking need to correct a misapprehension, viz.

But no names??? (They have lists of everything else: their corporations, their pubs., their pioneers, hour numbers, memorial attendance #s, etc., etc.)

Yes! but! - most reports to the WTS/HQ do not list names. The congregation as publisher record cards of course, but the names of most publishers are not forwarded to the branch.

I've filled out memorial reports, and (in my time anyway) the names of partakers or attendees is not asked for.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane
    Much credit goes to Steve Unthank for exposing the WT in Australia 4 years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit