Do you agree with this sentiment?

by mankkeli 10 Replies latest jw friends

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

I copied this text from a friend's wall on facebook, do you agree with his sentiment?

"This world is not our home. We are strangers here. Don't get so used to the ways of the world and let societal values be your guide. Set your affections on heavenly things. In Genesis 47:9 when Pharaoh asked Jacob how old he was, he did not state his specific years. Rather, He said "The years of my pilgrimage are a hundred and thirty". Let this teach us that we are pilgrims on earth soon to go to our real country."

• Shador
    Shador

Yes and no. I do believe that there is something after death. Christians call it Heaven, I call it Valhalla, still others think we just cycle back around the earth again.

Still that doesn't mean that we should ignore this life. I think we need to live this life to the best of our ability. I don't think *insert deity name* would want us to ignore what is going on here simply because it's "only temporary".

Besides, the atheists could be right and we may only get one shot. Shame to waste it.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

No. In fact I don't think I could disagree more.

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

A lot of uncertainties would be cleared if any of the dead could rise for few minutes and give an account of life on the other side, it would actually relieve us of unnecessary conjecture and settle a lot of issues about life after death. Without that , we all live on doubts at varying degrees. Unfortunately, this mental instability has been exploited by spiritual elites.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Absolutely not. I'm rather fond of this planet.

• agonus
    agonus

In many respects, yes. As the perennial misfit, I've never really felt like I belonged anywhere, and as time goes on, my suspicions grow that I ain't from around these parts.

• sir82
    sir82

"Set your affections on heavenly things"?

Isn't that precisely what the 99.99% of JWs who are "other sheep" are told they should NOT do?

• man oh man
    man oh man

Why can't we "enjoy" life and "hope" for something better? Why not set HIGH standards for oneself and live by them if one chooses? Personally I Love Life and the earth and I don't need no heavenly hope. That was one of the things (paradise) that turned me on to the jw religion. oooops

I would also say that Joseph made out pretty well in his life despite all the ups and downs!

And if there is a God I wish he would let me know personally instead of trying to do it through all of his $imperfect$ freinds here on the earth!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

This world is the only home I plan on having - I am quite comfortable here.

• JeffT
    JeffT

We live on borrowed time, make the most of it because nobody knows what happens when the lease is up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit