Combatting Depression

by sabastious 20 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

A few mornings back I was in the bathroom of the office building I work at. I was washing my hands and I felt a rush of thoughts flood my mind. The job I am doing for my client is an immense social network site. There is just so much to do in so little time. Even though I am up to the task I was still overwhelmed with the scope. Also this is such a different lifestyle for me, I am used to pet programming projects, World of Warcraft and Hot Pockets. I looked into the mirror and just stood there for a bit and tried to breath deep. I always get angry with myself when I feel the depression coming on and it feeds into it creating a vicious cycle. I was mad at myself for letting it come this far and now it had a chance of overtaking me.

I walked out of the bathroom and into the hall trying to be as calm as possible. I couldn't give it another inch. I must have looked like I was being chased by Jason Bourne or something. As I walked I mostly thought about all the things I had to get done between now and the next few months. Dozens of tasks that will take dozens of hours of work each. As I opened the door to my office I let out a defeating sigh, and when I walked inside I heard an internal voice of a friend of mine say, "You sure sigh a lot."

I replied out loud, "I am well aware of it" because it was true. I have been sighing a lot because of a stressful job, but too many defeating sighs are just giving the Depression Dog juicy steaks.

After that little internal exchange I started to feel better and was able to get to work.

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Depression tends to be brought upob by various factors and stress is just one of them.

Work related stress sucks because outside of quiting there isn't much one can do.

So you need to develop some mindset that allows you to deal with the stress, be it a "raise to the challenge" one or perhaps just a "it'l get done when it gets done" one, or you can find an activity to alleviate the stress, soem sort of exercise ( physical exercise tends to work well to counter mental stress).

• sabastious
    sabastious

I like rise to the challenge!

• unshackled
    unshackled

Know what you mean Sab...there are those days where you're feeling overwhelmed and notice overdosing on the "sigh". Like you're saying "woe is me" over and over, so you kick yourself in the ass.

Interesting though that sigh is a "reset" for the body and our breathing. Seen this article the other day...

http://news.discovery.com/human/why-we-sigh-breathing.html

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I have a saying:

When life gives you lemons you take the lemons, squeese them in life's eyes, kick life in the balls, choke it out and pull down its pants and write on its ass: Property of Paul !!

• LV101
    LV101

rising to the challenge is positive and a healthy attitude but i always have to tell myself that ole indian saying (i can't quote verbatim) something like "however long it takes is how long it will take." it's comforting to me when i'm rushing/crazy. i've got one of those months and took on too much and here i sit reading online --- i'm only allowing myself 4 min online this morning.

• manicmama
    manicmama

I know very well what you are referring to, I like how Winston Churchill put it "The black dogs are barking at my heels". When I refer to my "black dogs" my hubby knows to give me a little space or take me out for awhile for a change of pace. Meditation is all good to recenter yourself.

MM

• sabastious
    sabastious

Unshackled, that article makes perfect sense to me. Stress, for me, does make me breath all weird and sometimes I will actually hold my breath without knowing it. Makes sense that a sigh would be a "reset" or sorts. Thanks for that link.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Meditation is all good to recenter yourself.

Mediation is a struggle for me. My mind doesn't like to stop thinking. I eventually would like to see myself being able to do it more frequently though.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    however long it takes is how long it will take.

I should tell myself this more often. I often get wrapped up in the idea of it taking "too long."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit