Lawyer’s Response — Resigned and Withdrawn Elder

by Marvin Shilmer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Lawyer’s Response — Resigned and Withdrawn Elder

Today I uploaded a new article to my blog containing a 14-page incredibly detailed response from a Watchtower lawyer to a long-time high-ranking elder who had resigned and withdrawn his association with Watchtower.

My article is titled Lawyer’s Response — Resigned and Withdrawn Elder and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2011/09/lawyers-response-resigned-and-withdrawn.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I can't get page 8 to show. However, I am getting 2 page 9s. (both the 8th and 9th small icons at the bottom of the page bring up page 9)

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

ScenicViewer,

Thanks for noticing my oversight. I have corrected my mistake, and page 8 is now available.

Marvin Shilmer

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Interesting how unshamedly the letter states on page 9 that a decision to reject the teachings of the religion (which members of every other religion on earth are urged to do by Jehovah's Witnesses) is regarded as "wrongdoing". The two scriptures they use to justify such a punitive approach have no bearing on the issue at all. The Bible simply does not include such a directive. It is a distortion of scripture used by a religion/cult to blackmail members into remaining, despite whatever conscientious objection they may hold.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Looks like they got their bases covered in U.S. law ... can you say Pharisee?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Forgive me for not reading it. I'm all full up for reading drivel. He's using SCRIPTURE to back his opinions? No secular lawyer would bother. It would be great to have an opinion from a secular lawyer for balance.

• sizemik
    sizemik

The American constitution, underscored by years of case law, provides for freedom of religion to an excessive degree IMO. It enables them to exercise descriminatory practices based on form of worship, which in effect tramples all over the religious freedoms of others. In the absence of the constitutional rights, discrimination on the basis of religion would be the overriding HR consideration and ruled unlawful. This is becoming more apparent as ex-JW's in other countries are getting more success when directly disadvantaged by the practice of shunning. (Brazil for eg).

Certainly the doctrines, practices and corresponding statements in their literature is coming under more scrutiny in this country . . . it's still a hard road getting authorities to give it any significance however. The increased attention given to Human Rights and active discrimination, both Internationally and within certain countries, will gradually make this more of an issue if people effected by it are prepared to complain IMO. I have a specific complaint before the NZ HRC at the moment which is being investigated.

The letter itself carries a self-satisfied smugness about it . . . even brags about the "considerable success" enjoyed by the WTS legal dept. No wonder they devote such considerable resources to their legal dept. Extensive donated funds are used to keep the donators in line and protect their corporate interests . . . a callous irony. Maybe the "beast" will turn on the religion that "sits like a queen"? That's one prophecy they might yet get right.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

sizemik writes:

“The letter itself carries a self-satisfied smugness about it …”

The detail Watchtower has its lawyers go into with these letters is so telling to me. That Watchtower refrains from the same level of detail when it comes to teachings such as its blood doctrine tells much about where loyalties lay.

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Hello Marvin. In past threads all I needed to do was click + to magnify the print in order to read the page.

However, this thread is not giving me that option of + to magnify.

Just clicking on the page does not help. The font remains small & unreadable. I noticed you changed the format somewhat. Any ideas as to what I need to do?

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

JW Gonebad,

Try right-clicking and selecting either “Open Link in New Tab” or “Open Link in New Window”. Either of these options should give you a good resolution image and your cursor should have an active magnifier.

Please let me know if this solves the problem you're having.

Marvin Shilmer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit