Friends... life after JW

by ekruks 21 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

What is it that you really want to do? Mountain bike? Hike? Hockey? Run? Chess? Own a dog? Invest in the stock market? There are clubs for every interest in the world. You'll meet people. But, I warn you. In the JW world, everyone is a new recruit's "instant best friend." It may not be that way in the world. See the worldly's are not trying to recruit you into a cult. That is why I say that you'll meet people. After you meet a bunch of people, you'll make some friends.

I met a new person on the treadmill at the gym. JWs are encouraged to keep up health,so gyms aren't a disfellowshipping offense and it will likely help you deal with problems better. Anywa, while she wasn't a JW, I had to mention my past because of my Facebook page. She wanted to keep in touch, so Facebok was the obvious way and better way then finding a pen at the moment. Anyway, she gasped about me being a JW! But, it was because she KNEW other ex-JWs whose family was giving them the royal shunning treatment. So, now I have 2, new good friends!

As for family, I rarely talk about JW stuff with them. Perhaps once a year I'll say something. I have come to realize that my relatives NEED the JWs for hope, as facing real problems would be too much for them to handle. Oh, they try to recruit me back all the time, and I get those sly little comments. With on, I had to finally define the relationship like this: #1) I love you, #2) I don't want to hurt you, #3) I have studied the WTS very much, #4) I don't agree with it, #5) You do agree with it, #6) Let's build a relationship on common ground, not on our differences, #7) Let's have a "dont ask, don't tell" policy about religion. So, yes, it does mean that I am not "as deep" with my JW family. But, my non-JW family & I are very deep now.

When God closes a door, He opens a tiny window.

Skeeter

Skeeter

• ekruks
    ekruks

I have come to realize that my relatives NEED the JWs for hope, as facing real problems would be too much for them to handle.

That sounds familiar.
    The problem is they find it very traumatic if I don't rush to every meeting, because it means I am not a good associate. They want to associate with me, and find it very stressful. The pain it puts upon them makes me feel bad, even selfish, as they worry I will die at Armageddon. This is blatantly very traumatic for them, rather as if I have died, and I worry about the effect this has upon them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit