Problem with fundamentalist

by Elsewhere 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The Problem with fundamentalist is that they think that their salvation is at stake – either they act to change the world or face the consequences. They think that their sky god will punish them for another person’s actions.

Freedom of thought
    Freedom to live as one sees fit
    Freedom of women
    Etc…

The fundamentalists think that they will be punished for the lives of these other people.

<x ><

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

must be some of that good old cultic mind control crap they are fed

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

On the other side of the coin, much effort is put forth to deny a higher power to rid themselves of any responsibility of moral worth...........

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Interesting point Thai Chi.
    I don't know what you are calling fundamentalist (although I have an idea ) but Christians don't think their salvation hinges on others or on works. It's a faith thing--not blind faith, God isn't afraid of intelligence or fact-- but a personal decision. Sure Christians want to share the truth but that doesn't make them bad. Wouldn't it be hypocritical to not share and stand up for what one beleived was true? Wouldn't it be terribly unloving and cold hearted to not share saving information with someone? Christian isn't about being bossy or changing others or doing enough good works to screech into heaven. It's about God and truth which happens to exist whether the world wants it to or not. I don't look down on others that don't agree with me- I respect their opinion because it's a person behind the opinion-- but that doesn't mean people can't talk about truth and try to show the proof for it. Intelligent conversation and sharing of information doesn't have to be about controlling the other persons thoughts and beliefs, it's just sharing truth.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Adonai438: Well said!! I agree...........

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Hi ThiChi,

On the other side of the coin, much effort is put forth to deny a higher power to rid themselves of any responsibility of moral worth...........
    Most fundies would agree with that. However, one has to assume that the belief in the existence of some higher diety is necessary in order for a human being to appreciate the concept of morality. I'm not sure that one can assume that.

Jrig

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Greetings Jigrigger:

Just being able to understand the concept of “moral worth”compared to the rest of organic life on this planet is very telling in itself....

• gambler
    gambler

adonai, the problem with that is that the word TRUTH is relative.One mans truth is another mans lie.Hitler and countless others have tried to convince the world that they have the truth.So when I hear someone saying they are just spreading truth,I take it with a grain of salt and tell them is only YOUR opinion of what the truth is.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Man, this is why I come to this board....lots of food for thought! All have made good points here....................

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

That is true... I have come across a few people like that - however, that does not mean that all non-believers are that way.

Regarding a persons responsibility to spread what they think it right, I would agree again, but not to the point of trying to legislate morality as most fundamentalists have a habit of. I make it a point of trying to improve people as I see "improvement", however, I will not try to force it on someone.

However, one has to assume that the belief in the existence of some higher diety is necessary in order for a human being to appreciate the concept of morality. I'm not sure that one can assume that.
    It has been demonstrated (on the Discovery Channel ) that animals do have "moral" standards and social order (Wild Chimps and Elephants to name a few).

Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit