Does 2 John 10-11 encourage shunning ex JW's?

by TimothyT 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Good catch, punk. Another instance of the Borg denying a direct command of Jesus in favor of some other Bible writer's contradictory statement.

One would think that when the apostle Paul, or some Old Testament writer disagrees with the Son of God that the words of Jesus Christ would take precedence. Not with the Borg. If Joel says one thing and Jesus says the other, they tend to roll with Joel. If the apostle Paul says one thing and Christ says the other, they go with Paul. If David the murderer/adulterer says one thing (sometimes while simply singing a song) and the Son of God says another, the Borg rolls with the killer-adulterer.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Mad Sweeney - Thanks. Yes, the more I investigate the claims of the WBT$ is the more it all falls into a simple formula to promote the GB and demote Jesus to a nobody. Even the 'memorial' is in direct mockery of Jesus.

Does 2 John 10-11 encourage shunning ex JW's?

No! But the WBT$ does....and we know why! They seek power over people and money!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

No! But the WBT$ does....and we know why! They seek power over people and money !

Power, mixed in with money makes for corruption = men and religion

" The Truth "

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Well said Mad Sweeney... I have noticed that myself. Surely the teachings of Jesus take precedence over Paul and all others.

I find it crazy how little Jehovahs Witnesses know about Jesus. Its shocking.

• Quendi
    Quendi

As it has done with so many other passages, the WTS has taken 2 John 9-11 entirely out of context. But this should not be surprising to us. The apostle Peter warned against those who who were 'untaught and unsteady' and who would twist the Scriptures to advance their own thinking. It was true in the first century and it is true now in the twenty-first. When I pointed out John's real meaning to my judicial committee, the silence that followed was deafening.

Seeing how the WTS has twisted the Bible, ignorance about the teachings of Jesus is a given. When I told my judicial committee that its proceedings were nothing like the course Jesus recommended in the parable of the Prodigal Son and that Jesus said he was "the way, the truth, and the life" and not the "faithful and discreet slave", I was answered with angry and furious words. Looking back on my experience with those men now, the kindest thing they ever did for me was denying my reinstatement. That eventually set me on the spiritual path I'm on now and I'm all the better for it. From what you have shared with us, TimothyT, so are you.

Quendi

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

We should all remember this little passage:

Matthew 8:

Jesus Heals a Centurion’s Servant

(Lk 7:1–10)

5 When he entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, appealing to him 6 and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, in terrible distress.” 7 And he said to him, “ I will come and cure him .” 8 The centurion answered, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and the slave does it.” 10 When Jesus heard him, he was amazed and said to those who followed him, “ Truly I tell you , in no one d in Israel have I found such faith . 11 I tell you , many will come from east and west and will eat with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven , 12 while the heirs of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness , where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth .”

Verse 11 and 12 are in particular interesting.

• JamesWHudson
  • JamesWHudson
  • outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Cantleave nailed it. I forget the article now....but I recall reading that anyone that stops being a witness is like an apostate. "The word apostasy comes from a Greek word that literally means 'a standing away from', but has the sense of desertion, abandonment or rebellion....abandonment of right moral standards.....willfully abandoning the Christian Congregation". And since the JWs are the only ones that have ever been correct in biblical teachings.....and you disagree.....you have thus proven that you have abandoned the congregation.....thus you've abandoned Christ.

I liken it to group of animal rights activists accepting donations to preserve the habitat of the Angolan Speckled Moth. Any money you donate goes to preserve the habitat. Therefore anyone NOT donating is showing that they don't care about its habitat nor that of any other animal or person. A lack of care for habitat/environmental causes proves that this person approves of ecosystem destruction and thereby positions himself as a "ruiner of the earth" (Rev 11:18) That is worthy of disfellowshipment in my book!

Furthermore, I am yet to read an article by the society that explains fully why it is ok to talk to your athiest neighbor (who publicly denies the Christ)....but not your disfellowshipped son. (who was DFd for disagreeing with a teaching) James' words are somehow to apply only to former JWs?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Quendi:

Of course they twist scriptures to advance their own thinking! Wow, they must have really hated you for standing up to them in that judicial committee. They cannot stand it when somebody "dares" to challenge their kangaroo court authority. They hate it most of all when somebody waves the bible in their face tells them where they are wrong. But, you must have been a "believer" when you attended this.

I hate these men who presume to speak for God and I would never humor them by acknowledging them in any way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit