How things have moved on

by erbie 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• erbie
    erbie

It is very interesting for me to read about people who are working their way through Raymond Franz's books. I remember reading them about ten years ago and found them hugely helpful at what was a very difficult time for me. I did not have free access to the internet back then so those books were the only glimpse of what went on, I mean what really went on, in the Watchtower HQ.

I do still have contact with some witnesses as my inlaws are still JW's. However, they have closed ranks on us as they do not like to give anything away. I sense that they perhaps feel a measure of shame or embarrassment at what they do.

In short, it fascinates me how some people on this site appear to be still active as witnesses yet quite angry, with good reason, at the Wathtower Org. It seems that some of you still go on the ministry and go through all the motions of being a witness yet not believing it in the slightest. I left a few years ago but as with many of you, there was a transitional period of struggling on regardless even after I had decided that I didn't believe it. Anyway, this site makes it much easier for everyone involved which is really good news. I was completely on my own back then and had anger and hatred vented towards me in a way that I could not believe.

So, what I really wonder is: What is it like on the inside these days? Do you think that there is a general feeling of dissillusion? Certainly the witnesses I come in to contact with seem less concientous or fanatical. More laid back perhaps.

Please forgive my frankness, but it does intrigue me even now. And when I reflect on those dark days I spent in the Watchtower as I affectionally call it, I think, what WAS that all about. It shook my world in a way that took me years to recover.

So the question is: With all the wars, trouble, earthquakes and so on, why are insecure people not flocking to the watchtower? Could it be that they have cried wolf so many times that people (we) have learned from our past mistakes and are happy to ignore their fruitless ramblings.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would love to read of other experiences.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I believe they are weighing their investment. I stayed around for a while

even after I learned it was not "the truth" because I wanted to be there

for others like me. But I did not perceive that there was anyone like me. Then they

said to me officially, obey the Governing Body, so I said "now I can clean out my closet"

as I walked away from the readjustment meeting of brothers and one said

"do you know what this means?" Yup! I can clean out my closet. I did say that.

And it must of been the right thing to say because I am not disfellowshiped. Jealous?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Do you think that there is a general feeling of dissillusion? Certainly the witnesses I come in to contact with seem less concientous or fanatical. More laid back perhaps.

I do feel that most are going through the motions but living as if they will finish life "in this system." They stay because it is what they know and their family is in. I think they sort of believe it, but aren't all that serious about it. The number of M.S.'s and elders are down because people just don't want that.

With all the wars, trouble, earthquakes and so on, why are insecure people not flocking to the watchtower? Could it be that they have cried wolf so many times that people (we) have learned from our past mistakes and are happy to ignore their fruitless ramblings.

New people have the internet and check on their facts a bunch. The slight growth is mostly from poor people in poor areas of the world. The "growth" in places like the United States is mostly from JW's moving from other countries. Not real growth. Old JW's that leave quickly learn that it ain't the truth. The people outside could literally be "throwing their money in the streets" and the ex-JW's wouldn't go back.

• erbie
    erbie

Yes, weighing their investmant just about nails it. It's too late in the day to admit they are wrong.

This is true. I think the internet has been a real life saver for many sincere people, quite literally. During the mid nineties we were repeatedly told that the internet was the work of Satan and that no good would come of it.

What was said above about people going through the motions makes sense. I really see that with my inlaws. He's an elder but just doesn't seem too bothered about letting himself go and he never even mentions it to me. This is strange as I was never disfshpd. I have tried to bring the 'truth' up in conversation but he just doesn't seem interested yet we went to a wedding a while back and he wouldn't even step inside the church. It's crazy. They seem broken in some way or maybe it's their hope that is broken. With every huge earthquake the end still doesn't come.

Well, I reckon they're gonna have to stick at it because they said that I was a deluded fool when I started questioning it and to turn back now would mean I was right.

And that would never do!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ERBIE: Yes, it is true that there are people on this forum who still attend. Believe me, I don't envy them. I also feel that today's JWs are somewhat more laid-back than years ago. When you mention that "hate" was directed at you, I relate somewhat because I have had a small amount of hostility directed at me. I wondered to myself, just what would some fanatical JWs be capable of? Let them hate. Be glad we both moved on!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

One thing,hardly anyone goes to meetings anymore in my area. It's seems only the same core group attend meetings regularly. I think,even if,some believe to a certain degree,they have just become weary.

There is a lot of switching congregations going on too,because some have experienced problems in their former congregation.

But,I do feel more emphasis is placed on obey the governing body,right or wrong. It's scary and disturbing. The faithful slave is mentioned at every meeting and prayer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit