Jonah, was he a false prophet?

by HenryP 16 Replies latest jw friends

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

HenryP,

Whether or not Jonah's word came true was much less important than what God decided should happen. God showed compassion. Jonah was unfortunately more preoccupied with his own reputation than with the will of God or even the lives of these repentant people.

IMO, it will be the same with the GB. They feel that "apostates" should perish, yet maybe just maybe, God will feel differently!

They will be sitting waiting and waiting, yet no harm will come to apostates or the so called "world". They will have to literally bite their tongue to keep from blaspheming God!

IW

• Defender
    Defender

HenryP

In that case, do you consider that Jehovah relented from destroying the world in 1914 and again in 1915 and 1920 and 1925 and 1940s and 1975 and 1995, all because of JW witnessing?

If He did, then by all means, we can say that JWs are not false prophets. If He did not...

• HenryP
    HenryP

I will only say that I'm glad he did not listen or at least did not act to please JWs, just like he did not act according to what Jonah believed.

• Defender
    Defender

HenryP

I will only say that I'm glad he did not listen or at least did not act to please JWs.
    You do realise that what you just said indicates that you do agree JWs are false prophets after all. That is exactly what the Society says about false Prophets, namely that Jehovah will not listen to them and that he will not act according to what they prophesied.

...just like he did not act according to what Jonah believed.
    I beg to differ in that Jonah did not go warn Nineveh, then waited outside for God to act just because "he believed". He was directly "TOLD" to do so. The onus now is to prove that Jehovah TOLD JWs to preach about 1914,1915 etc...
  • HenryP
    HenryP

After reading my own post, you're right it seems that I said that. In reality, JWs are not the prophets. Jehovah gives the prophecy. JW's error is in their interpretation of those prophesies given by Jehovah. The prophecy itself is not false, but the expectations that JWs put based on those prophecies.

• AlanF
    AlanF

: Of course he was not a false prophet for Jehovah had sent him. Also I would like to add that Jonah showed lack of love and pride after Jehovah forgave the city, but still he is today considered a true prophet.

Every student of the Bible knows this, Henry. What then, is the point of your post?

AlanF

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

okay, I'm big enough to admit I did jump down your cyber-throat.

I guess what upsets me the most is that the Watchtower makes the God I love and trust look like a complete bloodthirsty moron. "I am Jehovah, I am bi-polar' sort of thing. It infuriates me.

And I'm with silentlambs and Lee Elder on this one...why do JW's come here and discuss Jonah and all these other things when JW children are DYING...and I repeat D-Y-I-N-G. Kinda like 'Troubled' troll, you know...whining over things when children are DYING in this organization. These children need help and they need it now, but all JW'swant to talk about is how they are NOT false prophets and on and on and on. Who GIVES a rat's behind...

SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit