"never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him" - 2 John 10

by irondork 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• irondork
    irondork

It's US who should be shunning THEM!

2 John is talking about the anti-christ. He describes it:

verse 7 - For many deceivers have gone forth into the world, persons not confessing Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist.

and

verse 9 - Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God.

and so concludes... verse 10 & 11 - If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works. Do I understand this correctly?
  • zombie dub
    zombie dub

it was talking about something 2000 years ago so probably best to just ignore it?

• N.drew
    N.drew

Yes, but we are disobedient children, are we not?

I believe we should keep in mind the warning. But

they are not anti-christs because they do have the teaching.

They just can't hear themselves think.

Zombie? 2000 years ago wasn't so long ago.

I am going to say (for myself) I will listen, (but probably not obey).

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

2000 years ago, the founders of christianity were as manipulative as the leaders today

Really!

Fancy going around telling people that their beleif in god was worthless becuse they didnt follow the rules about this 'christ' character that were made up by his supporters.

just coz they say so does not make it true

oz

• N.drew
    N.drew

Christ had rules?

• still thinking
    still thinking

I agree irondork....if I had been reading my bible before they knocked on my door....I would have known not to receive them into my home...

• N.drew
    N.drew

I believe what Jesus did was he explained the natural spiritual phenomenon

of the "air". Paul it was that explained the natural phenomenon of "man".

Jesus said "I know what is in man". Paul wrote the proof of that.

I believe "the Bride of Christ" is Earth. Earth plus Truth, Way and Life

eguals the goal of everlasting life.

"Jesus coming in the flesh" does it not mean he is "with" us?

I don't know, what do you think?

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I agree with you Irondork JW's, Mormons, any who claim to be Christian put themselves in his place.

Aussie Oz despite my preference being Christianity I do not hold the beliefs or non belief of others as inferior. This may be contradictory but I love the variety of this planet to much to fell any one way is exclusive.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

zombie dub:

it was talking about something 2000 years ago so probably best to just ignore it?

I rather like your observation. In fact it goes for a lot of things.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Back then, there were some traveling individuals with an opposite religious agenda going from place to place trying to dissuade Christians from the basic teachings taught by Christ and his followers. They would take advantage of the cultural hospitality common in those days, and stay over in people's homes to spread their unhealthful teaching. Hence the warning.

Of course, the WTS applies the warning at 2 John 10 of heretical doctrines to anyone elses teaching, but theirs. But the counsel should be applied to ANYONE who goes around teaching doctrines opposite of what Christ and his disciples taught. The problem is that no one agrees on what true Christian doctrine really is. People would say that that would be as simple as accepting what Christ taught, but even here, not everyone agrees, and there are as many interpretations as there are different subjects related to Christian doctrine. Heck, we cannot even agree on which bible translations, with their different interpretations, are most appropiate for us in our day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit