Reaching a Significant Milestone

by Quendi 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

Hello Friends,

Sunday, 4 September 2011 will go down as an important day in my spiritual journey. I had an extraordinary experience today that I feel compelled to share with all of you. When I left the WTS I also decided to have nothing to do with organized religion. My experience in the WTS had convinced me that there was very little that was good to be found in any religious organization and that I was better off flying solo as it were.

As I have related elsewhere, I was disfellowshipped for being a gay man. For all of my more than thirty-five years association with Jehovah's Witnesses I was made to feel nothing but shame, guilt, and self-hatred for simply being who I am. I was told that I had to purge my very nature if I were to receive everlasting life, that God himself was disgusted with my thoughts and emotions. I read it in the literature, I heard it from the platform, and I listened to it in Witness gatherings at the Kingdom Hall, in field service, and informal get-togethers. After finally turning my back on the WTS, I concluded that I could only have a solitary existence as I followed my own spiritual path.

But then I decided to see if there were other gay Christians in my area and would it be possible to fellowship with them. Lo and behold! I searched the Internet and found a church that was set up to serve the gay and lesbian community in metropolitan Denver. The website contained loads of useful and encouraging information and I finally made up my mind to attend its Sunday morning service. It was a journey of more than thirty miles but I found it was worth it. The church is located in one of Denver's oldest neighborhoods, not far from the state Capitol building. I had no trouble finding it, but was still apprehensive as I walked along the tree-shaded streets to the building.

My reception was warm and friendly. I wasn't "love-bombed" but that made my welcome seem all the more genuine. The service itself was remarkable! After decades of attending the stiff, dry, and formula-ridden meetings in Kingdom Halls, it was amazing to be at a service that featured dynamic music in a building full of light. The congregation was a wonderful blend of people. Most of it was gay, of course, but there were a few straight couples there who looked completely comfortable and entirely at home. As for the gay couples, some of whom had children, you could see that here was a place where they could be themselves. Sitting quietly together, occasionally caressing their partners' hands or even giving them a soft kiss, was something new for me to see. Fear, hatred, contempt, and prejudice had been left outside and the worshippers could concentrate on hearing the pastor's message.

And that message was something utterly different from anything I had ever heard in a Kingdom Hall. It had nothing to do with human sexuality and the freedom to pursue a particular lifestyle. Instead, the minister wove Romans 13:8-10 and Matthew 18:15-20 into his talk. In a warm and friendly voice, he exerted his listeners to remember that the community they were now part of was composed of people who were imperfect, and so misunderstandings, frictions, and even bitter disputes could and would arise. The key to solving them was to remember how love was the complete fulfillment of both the Law of Moses and the teachings of Christ. Sometimes extending love and forgiveness to those who have hurt us is very challenging, even difficult, but if we would have peace among ourselves and God's blessing, we must make every effort to do so. And should we find we need help, then we could turn to other members of the community for it. The minister pointedly condemned those religions who used Matthew 18:15-20 as a pretext for "excommunicating" people, for that was not at all the thrust of our Lord's meaning.

I couldn't help contrasting this service and the words it put forth with the rigid, unbending, sanctimonious fulminations one hears in WTS public talks and literature studies and lessons. Several times during either the sermon or hymns as I listened to the words, I had to hold back tears as I felt here was a place where I could be accepted, loved, and respected for simply being who I was. When the service ended, I couldn't believe that an hour had gone by. One glaring contrast was the fact that none of the children fidgeted or had to be disciplined during the meeting as they fought boredom. Instead, it was evident that they enjoyed being there as much as their parents did.

Did they pass a collection plate? Yes they did and I gladly contributed. This church is actively involved in giving back to the community in which it is located. It operates a food bank, conducts a ministry toward those suffering from HIV and AIDS, assists the homeless, has an outreach program to people of color, and counsels youths. You won't find anything like that in any Kingdom Hall, look where you may.

When the service ended, the minister told me he was glad to see me, especially since this was my first time there. He asked me to come back again. I spoke to others who said the same, one woman smiling at me and saying she looked forward to talking to me again. When she asked about my own background I smiled ruefully and said only that I was a "refugee", and how glad I was to find a community where I could be myself. She smiled in return and then said she was an "ex-Presbyterian" and had come to the Metropolitan Community Church of the Rockies for the same reasons that had drawn me in.

Will I go back? Yes, I will. When the service ended today I felt refreshed in a way I have not my entire adult life. I actually felt closer to God than I have for years. I felt love and gratitude toward him for allowing me to find a place that made me feel whole and human again, and that had rekindled my spirituality in a way I never thought possible. I also appreciated the fact that nobody pretended that their community was perfect or that there were no problems there. The difference for me was first, the open acknowledgement of this; and second, the fact that people were genuinely glad to attend services here and receive the kind of refreshment and strengthening they needed to go about their lives. Nobody was told they weren't doing enough to serve God. Nobody was given a list of regulations they had to follow. Instead, we were urged to draw as close to God and one another as we could, trusting that he would be pleased with our genuine efforts.

I certainly want to learn more about this community and see whether I can not only receive good things from it, but give them as well. I am excited about the prospects and what they mean for my own spiritual life. I have reached a milestone on my journey that will stand like a beacon for me because it has shown that I still have a deep spiritual need, and that I will be blessed if I seek to fill it. My friends, whatever your circumstances, I wish the same for each and every one of you.

Quendi

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Congratulations on your milestone. I wish you continued success on your journey of finding your bliss!!!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I am so happy for you . It is wonderful when we discover how beautiful worship can be compared to what we were use to in the KH . I too wish you much happiness in your continued journey .

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Quendi:

You mention our need for refreshment and strengthening to go about our lives. I agree, as we cannot successfully go solo; we are meant to mingle, though the means by which we do so differs. My mountain community likewise offers many houses of worship that I know are welcoming and whose services are more stimulating than those offered at the KH. I long for the opportunity to attend someday.

I am glad you have found what brings you fulfillment.

Thanks for sharing,

CoCo Chained

• just fine
    just fine

I am glad you are finding acceptance and comfort. What a difference from what we all felt at the Hall.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wonderful, Quendi!

Although I'm an atheist, I had a somewhat similar experience when I attended a Catholic church with my neighbors. It's apparently changed a lot from what it used to be.

Tho there were children present, none were screaming, crying, or being smacked loudly in the restrooms. No one had to dress up; many attended in jeans and t-shirts...

It was a refreshing change...

I'm glad to hear that you've found a decent place that truly strives to live up to the very best of Christian principles.

Zid

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

Quendi, Bravo! You did it, man. Now you can worship in love and truth. I looked at the churches web site. They have a wednesday holy conversation night that seems right up your alley. My family and I attend a church that is open and confirming and like where you go they also ( DO NOT JUDGE ). Get excited about loving all people and not judging them to death. Its a beautiful arrangment Jesus showed all of us. Congrats! peacetoAll paulnotsaul

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Thanks for sharing your experience, Quendi.

BTW, I don't think I ever commented on your username:

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Glad to hear it!

• wobble
    wobble

I am so happy for you Quendi, and what an eye opener it is for us who used to be in the WT, to see real Christian love in action !

Mrs Wobble and I have attended a similar church to the one you describe, maybe not so many gays there, but definately a few, but a wonderful vibrant atmosphere of love and humour, we all had a good laugh a number of times, you don't here that often in a K.H !

May you find happiness and fulfillment, and true friends on your journey, your Church sounds like a great place to start !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit