Am I missing something?

by sizemik 18 Replies latest members private

• tec
    tec

I would still like someone holding to a particular concept of God, to tell me what they consider is required by that God and why.

Hmm.

If you truly want to know what God requires of you, then you should ask Him. And keep asking. Put enough faith in that, and you might even hear His answer.

I do understand that this can be kind of hard to do, though, sans faith. So I'll try and answer your question as best as I understand it.

The work of God is to listen to and believe in His Son. Christ is the mediator between man and God; the Truth and the Life. Listening to Him is the same as listening to God. Christ taught and showed us how to live: showing mercy, love, forgiveness to one another. Not to judge, etc, etc. I assume you already know these.

I understand that some cannot believe - some for lack of (mostly scientific) proof, and some because of the falsehoods told about him, and the contradictions/hypocricy in His so-called followers.

So while some might not be able to believe in the man (much less in the Christ), what about the things He taught? Do you have and show love, mercy, forgiveness? Do you not judge others? If you have all the attributes that Christ asked of us, then are you not listening? Perhaps you are one of those people Paul spoke about, one who has the 'law' written on your heart.

Some who did what Christ taught, while being unsure about Christ himself, can still be known BY Christ. Likewise, some who believe in Christ, yet don't do anything he taught, might not be known BY Christ.

Matthew 7:21 - "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Also read Matthew 25: 31-45. Its the sheep and the goats parable. Christ knew those out of the nations who did good to even the least of his brothers - even though these people out of the nations did not know they had done anything for him. They just WERE those kind of people: loving enough to feed the hungry, cloth the poor, etc, etc. On the other hand, out of the nations, there were also many (goats) who denied this help and kindness to 'the least of these'. Christ sent them away, denying them entrance into the kingdom.

These were people from the nations who did good (or not) to his brothers. So I don't see how He could be speaking about fellow 'christians' here. Not only that, but this understanding follows love and justice and mercy as well. So it... makes a lot more sense in regard to the spirit of Christ and God - love and mercy and forgiveness.

So to sum: there are his brothers (and sisters). Those who are one with him, who know him and are known by him. And then there are the people out of the nations who do the things the 'law' (of love) requires. Those are also known by Christ. So while you might be unable to believe in Christ, or God... you might still be known by HIM, in accordance to the 'spirit' of you. The 'heart' of you.

Peace,

Tammy

• sizemik
    sizemik

Thank you Tammy . . . your post was very interesting and has given me much food for thought. Especially your sum up. In my opinion, atheism and an increase in the mysterious content of the physical universe after fundamentalism, is just another stage in our spiritual journey. I am constantly open to new ideas and new understanding.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Almighty God was all alone in the universe. So one day he thought: " I know, I'll create some inferior beings whose purpose in life is to worship me, to thank me all the time, and generally tell me how wonderful I am.That'll be nice.

And so he created man.( and the angels of course)

And that is the purpose of life according to Jdubs ( among others). To worship God. We are here for that reason.

Sounds like he's a bit egocentric to me.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wouldn't say you missed anything.

With me the JW 'mind cleansing' (Watchtower, June 1, 1953, p. 350 par. 24), was so intense that I cannot switch off the God thing. I decided at one time that I'd be better off atheist, then went home and said grace over my meal automatically.

My mind has been 'cleansed' and it's a buggerooter trying to dirty it up! I now just go with the flow and I wouldn't be surprised if the aliens land and probe us all, I really wouldn't!

• tec
    tec

You're very welcome, Size. Glad I could share something that gave you food for thought.

Peace,

Tammy

• sizemik
    sizemik
    went home and said grace over my meal automatically.

Well . . . Unky, that doesn't make sense really. We only benefit from a meal after eating it . . . after our intestines have sucked all the nutients out and we are done with what's left . . . that's when we should feel thankful is it not?

JLP . . . God is even less imaginitive than humans it would seem. Do you think he bombards us constantly with death, tragedy and disaster to remind us of what a great bloke he is? Doesn't seem to dampen his popularity at all.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Interesting that Shelby hasn't posted to try to convince you the need to have God in your life.

Just sayin'.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I'm hoping Shelby will be along . . . although she's none too happy with me ATM.

Tammys reply definitely struck a chord with me . . . throwing the emphasis back on how you live, rather than ritualistic, organised, OT style "worship" that seems popular with so many. "Principle" over "knowledge", "Loving" over "serving", a good heart rather than an outwardly pious lifestyle. I like it.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    "Principle" over "knowledge", "Loving" over "serving", a good heart rather than an outwardly pious lifestyle. I like it.

Me too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit