One scripture that got me thinking on my way to leaving...

by MrFreeze 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

When I was still in, I read a scripture that I think got me started on my route to leaving and not buying into the BS anymore.

For the longest time (ever since I was baptized) I wasn't exactly the beacon of a model brother in what I was really doing. You could say I was leading a "double life". My JW persona was holier than thou. I was young, a pioneer and a ministerial servant and I appeared ambitious. I would be considered a good example in the congregation. In all reality I was doing a lot of stuff that probably would have gotten my "privileges".

I was one of those people who thought, "The internet can do no damage to me. Whatever I see on there that tries to disprove the WT, the WT will be able to answer their claims." The big bad internet got me. You people duped me! I'd like to thank you people and all the other ones who showed the WT for what it really was.

It was around Christmas time and I was researching a little about Jesus. I decided to see what secular sources would say about Jesus being nailed to a stake rather than a cross. In my research I came accross this scripture.

John 20:24,25: 24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, who was called The Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 Consequently the other disciples would say to him: “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe.”

The point that the supposed anti-Jesus person on the site was making is that they wouldn't have said "nails" unless they meant more than one nail. Why would they use more than one nail on his hand if he was hung up on a stake and not a cross?

So I decided to consult the almighty WT Library. To my amazement, the only time they mention it really is in "question from readers" and they pretty much only say "It's not important on what he died, just that he did die for the sins of mankind." That there, set an alarm off in my head. What the hell? If it doesn't matter on what he died, why do they make such a big stink about the other Christian religions portraying it as a cross?

I thought maybe I would ask a "mature" sister about it and see what her thought was. I showed her the scripture and asked her how she would refute that claim if somebody showed it to her in the ministry. She said "well what does the watchtower say?" I was baffled. I thought she would know for sure. It seems like she knew everything but she really knew NOTHING!

So that was when it started to crumble. That was when I started to look into the religion more and more and see all the BS that comes along with it. Just one little scripture and the whole thing came tumbling down. I guess I would be considered a "weak" brother for only one thing stumbling me like that. Well it stumbled me... right off the WT cliff and into the truth about the religion. It wasn't even a year after that I called it quits. I stepped down as a ministerial servant and pioneer and I haven't been back to a meeting since I did that.

Once again, I'd like to thank the efforts of the people on here as well as on other sites, revealing the truth about the WT.

• Ding
    Ding

You never know what card is going to start the whole stack falling.

I never understood the diatribe about the cross being a pagan symbol.

It was a Roman death instrument and the Romans were pagans -- DUH!

Besides, do you find anything in the NT discussing the importance of believing in the right shape of the "torture stake"?

It's ridiculous...

Just one more mind control device to isolate JWs from everyone else and convince them that the WTS has given them a deep understanding of the Bible that no one else has...

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Ding, that is exactly what I came to realize.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Revelation 19:1. 'Great Crowd' in heaven? Wha?

So I went to my Revelation Climax book and there was nothing specific to discuss this scripture. Totally ignored!

Then a quadzillion other scriptures blew the WTB$ right out of the water!

When an elder came to visit he asked 'Like Peter said, Where else will you go?'

By this time I was ready with: 'That's not what Peter said. You've just misquoted!'

Him: 'Then what does it say?'

Me: 'Look it up!'

He didn't, he reported me to the BOE instead! The Twot!

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

I think "where else will you go" is a trap. if you answer, "nowhere" or "i don't know", they beilieve you are no longer interested in "the truth" and are an apostate. If you answer "somewhere else", you are an apostate. Either way you answer this question you are an apostate. Perhaps the best answer would be, "thanks for stopping by".

• wobble
    wobble

"But where else will you go ?"

"I ain't goin' nowhere bud, I'll be right here when you find the truth and bring it to me"

That is the sort of answer I would have liked to have given.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Pro 4:18 'But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established."
    I finally asked how can they only apply this only to the organization it's understanding on prophecy. It sounds more like Ps 119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my foot, And a light to my roadway" I looked up the references and sure enough there it was as well as other scriptures that point more to an individual coming to an understanding not a flip flopping organization.

(Psalm 97:11) Light itself has flashed up for the righteous one, And rejoicing even for the ones upright in heart.

(Psalm 119:105) Your word is a lamp to my foot, And a light to my roadway.

(Daniel 12:4) “And as for you, O Daniel, make secret the words and seal up the book, until the time of [the] end. Many will rove about, and the [true] knowledge will become abundant.”

(Matthew 5:14) “YOU are the light of the world. A city cannot be hid when situated upon a mountain.

(1 Corinthians 13:12) For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face. At present I know partially, but then I shall know accurately even as I am accurately known.

(2 Corinthians 4:6) For God is he who said: “Let the light shine out of darkness,” and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate [them] with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Christ.

(2 Peter 1:19) Consequently we have the prophetic word [made] more sure; and YOU are doing well in paying attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and a daystar rises, in YOUR hearts.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The picking and choosing always amazes me. Gee, you'd think they'd at least spend the time to come up with some convoluted BS to make the scriptures make sense to their understanding. They don't even bother doing that!

Punk, what scripture is that where he misquotes Paul? I can't remember. This is why I need to go back to the meetings. I can't remember any scriptures!

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

MrFreeze, in Punk's post the elder misquoted John 6:68 which should be "to whom will we go?". My "Bible study" conductor misquoted this too; perhaps it's in the wt literature somewhere?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I could never understand that since a cross is a pagan symbol, why they would replace it with a stake, which resembles another pagan symbol of the obelisk. Weak game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit