WT Nov. 1, 2011 (public) - When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed - Part 2

by AnnOMaly 322 Replies latest watchtower bible

• james_woods
    james_woods
    It just seems to me that an attempt to pacify the R&F on something like this would be better served in the Kool-Aid Edition. I dunno. I can't make heads or tails of anything they do anymore. Their motivation, their reasoning, none of it is adding up. The only thing that would make a modicum of sense at this point is if there is indeed an "apostate" faction that's somehow getting to the Writing Committee and attempting subterfuge via articles like this one while those who are supposedly in control, i.e. the Governing Body, would be too clueless to notice...

Could it possibly be that somebody on the writing department is slowly realizing that there is really no reason (and precious little pertinent material) for them to put out a "public" version at all?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I've just seen endnote 7 regarding the eclipse on VAT 4956, where Nisan 1, 588 BCE is said to begin on May 2/3 (i.e. sundown May 2).

Here's a summary table (results from my own research) comparing the two scenarios - the 568/7 one and Furuli's 588/7 one. If anyone wants specifics, please ask. And if anyone spots a goof, I'd appreciate you letting me know :-)

Please note that a margin of error of 3° has been used. If a measurement is over 3° it was labelled 'bad.'

SUMMARY OF THE OBVERSE SIDE

LINE

DETAILS

568 BCE

(new year April 22)

RF's 588 BCE

(new year May 2)

New moon visible?

Yes

Improbable

Moon's position

Good

Good

Saturn's position

Good

Bad

Moon's position

Bad*

Good

Jupiter's predicted appearance

Fair

Bad

Sunrise-moonset interval

Good

Bad

New moon visible?

Yes

Yes

Moon's position

Good

Good

Likelihood of moon fitting other details on line

Good

Bad or unlikely

Saturn's position

Good

Bad

Mercury details

Good

Good

Mars' position

Good

Bad

Mercury's position

Probably good

Inaccurate

Venus' position

Good

Bad

Moonrise-sunrise interval (calculation)

Good

Inaccurate

New moon visible?

Yes

No

Moon's position

Good

Good

Good

Bad

Sunset-moonset interval

Good

Bad

Mars' and Mercury's positions

Probably good

Bad

Mars' and Mercury's positions

Good

Bad

Jupiter's position

Good

Bad

Venus' position

Good

Bad

Moon's position

Bad*

Inaccurate

Moon's position

Good

Bad

Solstice

Good

Bad

Moon's position

Good

Inaccurate

Mars' position

Probably good

Bad

Sunrise-moonset interval

Good

Bad

'Omitted' lunar eclipse that month

Yes

Yes

* Good if position relates to previous night.

Taking lunar details only,

568 BCE scores,

RF's 588 BCE scores,

6 (+ 3 approximately good)

Taking both lunar and planetary details,

568 BCE scores,

24 (+ 4 fair/probably good)

RF's 588 BCE scores,

7 (+ 4 approximately good)

----------------

SUMMARY OF THE REVERSE SIDE

LINE

DETAILS

567 BCE

(Tebetu 19 = Feb. 1/2)

RF's 587 BCE

(Tebetu 19 = Feb. 11/12)

3'

Venus' position

Good

Bad

5'

Moon visible?

Yes

Unlikely

Moon's position

Good

Good

Sunset-moonset interval

Good

Bad

Jupiter's position

Good

Bad

6'

Venus' position

Probably good*

Bad

Moon's position

Good

Bad †

7'

Moon's position

Probably good

Probably good

8'

Sunrise-moonset interval

Undecided

Undecided

12'

Moon visible?

Yes

Yes

Moon's position

Good

Good

Sunset-moonset interval

Good

Bad

Good

Good

13'

Moon's position

Good

Bad

14'

Moon's position

Good

Good

15'

Moon's position

Probably good

Probably good

16'

Sunrise-moonset interval

Good

Bad

17'

Mercury's position

Good

Good

Venus' position

Good

Bad

18'

Saturn's, Mercury's and Venus' positions

Probably good

Bad

19'

Venus' and Mercury's positions

Probably good

Bad

20'

Jupiter details

Probably good

Bad

Mercury's and Venus' positions

Probably good

Bad

* accounting for the scribal error

† The moon is 30° away from the Pleiades - if the standard halo comes in a 22° size, Furuli's moon is too far. In contrast, the established 567 BCE date shows the moon 20° from the Pleiades. This is the only occasion under Furuli's scheme, and where lunar halos are mentioned, that the objects on the tablet fall outside the 22° parameter.

Taking lunar details only,

567 BCE scores,

11 (+ 2 probably good)

RF's 587 BCE scores,

5 (+ 2 probably good)

Taking both lunar and planetary details,

567 BCE scores,

15 (+ 7 probably good)

RF's 587 BCE scores,

5 (+ 2 probably good)

TOTALS FOR BOTH SIDES

Taking lunar details only

568/7 BCE scores,

26 (+ 2 probably good)

RF's 588/7 BCE scores,

11 (+ 3 approx. good + 2 probably good)

Taking both lunar and planetary details

568/7 BCE scores,

39 (+ 11 fair/probably good)

RF's 588/7 BCE scores,

12 (+ 4 approx. good + 2 probably good)

The evidence speaks for itself. Taking the tablet as a whole, the positions clearly favor the year 568/7 BCE. Attempting to find wild and wonderful excuses to divorce the planetary positions from the lunar ones in order to add wiggle room for a possible 588/7 lunar fit doesn't give the result Furuli (or proponents of the 'Oslo' chronology) would like, when the data is properly handled.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    And anyway, who cares? 607 was the starting point for calculating 1914! and 1914 turned out to be a big hoax anyway.

Many thanks for that! I will never understand why the watchtower keeps stubbornly insisting on this 607 date when the whole line of prophecy based on it turned out to be a total bust.

They cling to 607 because it is fundamental to the WTs key doctrine of their EXCLUSIVE Divine Selection/Appointment as God's Sole Channel today. No one else gives a ratts ass about 607/587 because IT DOESN'T MATTER to them. WT hasn't admitted 1914 as a "Total Bust" either. Instead they keep modifying the "generation" definition to keep 1914 alive. They must surely be scratching their balls heads trying to figure out where to go with it all. It doesn't appear that there is anyone at WT who has picked up F. Franz' mantle as historian/prophet, and no wonder -- he may have backed them into a corner of which there is no way out. They must be offeirng prayers and incense (maybe sacrificing virgins?) in hopes that the whole world starts tumbling down in the next 3 years to "prove them right". Even if it's just enough for them to claim that it was the "start" of the Tribulation. (And thanks to our world leaders that may prove true enough!)

DOC

• agonus
    agonus

james_woods:

So the "Public Edition" is a MacGuffin because they realize nobody on the outside actually reads the stuff, much less puts any stock into it? Then what's the purpose of publishing it in the first place? Just a song-and-dance to keep Dubs' hands full with Tha Busy Work (sorry, Tha Preaching Work)? Or more internal damage control, actually intended for Dub comsumption but with a "public" veneer to mindf--k them on a different level entirely?

Qui bono?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

As much as 1914 is a big deal for JW's for the WT and the organixation the big deal is 1919, when they were "chosen" as the only organization doing Jehovah's work.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    james_woods:
    So the "Public Edition" is a MacGuffin because they realize nobody on the outside actually reads the stuff, much less puts any stock into it? Then what's the purpose of publishing it in the first place? Just a song-and-dance to keep Dubs' hands full with Tha Busy Work (sorry, Tha Preaching Work)? Or more internal damage control, actually intended for Dub comsumption but with a "public" veneer to mindf--k them on a different level entirely?

Very possibly - remember, they got along perfectly well for at least a hundred years without a "Public Edition".

And now they are putting stuff in the public edition that could have no possible meaning to the true "public".

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

The "Researchers" referenced smells of bethelite researchers huddled over a PC running freeware in the basement to me.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I think the reason this article is not in the study version of the WT is this copy is likely to be in every publishers hand in the KH for four or five weeks.

The last thing the WTS wants is discussions of it between R&F members at the KH.

The public edition gets picked up at the KH on Tuesday or Thursday night and never sees the light of day again.

George

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The "Researchers" referenced smells of bethelite researchers huddled over a PC running freeware in the basement to me.

Or a pipe cooking freebase in the basement...

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I don't know - I think having it in the public edition is kinda saying, "Hey world, we're pretty confident of our position and we want, not just JWs to know this, but anyone who takes issue with it."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit