A photograph that I would pay money for...

by cedars 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cedars
    cedars

I've only recently become properly acquainted with Barbara Anderson's wonderful website www.watchtowerdocuments.com. After reading her life story, she strikes me as a truly remarkable woman.

If I may quote from her story, one particular experience stood out for me when she was going through old memorabilia as part of a research project at the Brooklyn headquarters...

In one of these drawers, finding personal photographs of the second president of the Watchtower Society, Joseph F. Rutherford, was, for me, one of the most disagreeable and revolting discoveries. Rutherford was clad in a dark-colored, one-piece, skin-tight, sleeveless swimsuit which covered him down to his thighs, a garment popular in the late 1920s and 30s. He had a huge belly, and appeared to be having fun romping on a large patio which overlooked the ocean. I seem to remember there were other people in a few photos lying on chaise lounges. The photo I’ll never forget was a close-up of Rutherford’s face; he was about a foot from the camera with his tongue stuck out as far as it could possibly go. He looked to me to be inebriated.

Now that is one photo I would love to get my hands on! The society seem so obsessed with presenting a sanitised and flawless pictorial record of their past, that they will even resort to doctoring re-enactments of their own history (removing the american flags at Cedar Point etc). Imagine the pyschological impact of a photo posted prominently online of Rutherford completely sloshed!

Does anyone else think this would have some value? Any ideas as to how we could get our mits on it, or what the domain name of the website showing the picture should be??!!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I'm thinking that after Barbara wrote that, somebody would have gone through the old files with a flamethrower.

Nothing will ever surface...

oz

• sizemik
    sizemik

Perhaps we could take a leaf out of WT$ book and re-enact it?

• cedars
    cedars

What I'm really hoping for is that a disillusioned bethellite will check this post and search the archives for us.

There's a good chance it's been destroyed, but you never know!

If all else fails, does anyone have any friends who bear some resemblance to the big man himself?!

• irondork
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Imagine the pyschological impact of a photo posted prominently online of Rutherford completely sloshed!

There is already one out there that is pretty close.

The keg party.

I doubt anyone has left over it.

I am sure your average JW believes that Holy Spillit can work through a bottle of moonshine if it needs to.

• cedars
    cedars

Good catch Black Sheep! I have seen this picture before, and although it doesn't have the "shock" factor of a completely trollied Rutherford staring directly at the lens in a bathing suit with his tongue hanging out, it illustrates my point.

My point is that Rutherford and Russell have been elevated to the point of demi-gods by the Society, and it would be nice to have them brought down a peg or two. What better way than the internet to level the playing field a little?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm quite sure my family could trot out a similar photo of me.

There is no point in bringing them down 'a peg or two'.

You have to completely destroy their credibilty.

Clipping off one twig at a time will eventually kill a tree.

• cedars
    cedars

It's strikes me that the odds are stacked firmly against a "shock and awe" style assault, i.e. commandeering an international convention and posting a viral video of the ensuing chaos on YouTube for example (by the way, please don't try that anyone!). 'Guerrilla warfare' seems to be the order of the day when it comes to exposing the self-deified society as nothing more than "human" and "corporate". Imagine the psychological impact of such a photo popping up on Google whenever someone typed in "Judge Rutherford" for example. Like anything else, it's not the solution to everything, but perhaps a tiny part of it that will help people to think differently about these revered icons of the organisation's history.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Currently, that pic comes up on the first page of image hits for that search .

This is the second image

You can do your bit by linking to the pages to up their ranking with Google

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit