Something I struggle with mentally. Anyone Else?

by thinking_1 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

Yes, I have thought about the JW types you have described. I have also known folks in both categories personally. As noted by others, people who were living a destructive train wreck of a life bettered their situation by embracing a high control cult or by becoming BACs, etc. Whatever works.

As far as not upsetting the applecart of long time JWs who are getting up in years and have lives completely saturated with the org. This is a situation soaked with irony. What about the people they converted or are trying to convert as we speak. Do they think that it would be unkind to convince a lifelong Catholic or Baptist, etc. to abandon their family faith?

I say that those who claim the truth is so all important should be able to handle it. I'm not too sympathetic towards people who are out knocking on doors for the purpose of shredding other peoples lives and beliefs.

• clarity
    clarity

All valid points of view for sure ... such a difficult subject.

Too bad we didn't understand just how greatly peoples lives would be affected by knocking on their doors in the first place! Hmmm ..now, how to undo it????

>

I suppose the age and # of years in, are a factor here, but my 2 cents ... it's more the personality of the jw that counts.

>

Like Scully's words here - { All I'm saying is that for the person who requires *that much* structure/regimentation in their lives that the military is a viable alternative to the JW lifestyle, there's probably something going on psychologically (OCD, or addictive personality, for example). I'd venture to guess that in those individuals, they are merely trading one addictive lifestyle for another, and the trade may not be upward}

Agreed, better to leave that alone.

>

But then again there are the independent free thinkers, who are not hooked into one of the cliques, who stand up to the elderettes, elders or anyone else!

c

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Utimately you cannot accept responsebility for other peoples lives and choices. You can be decent, fair and straightforward with others but no matter what your say or do I believe each person does what they want irregardless of any advice that's given them. Advice is everywhere people do what they want and being unnecessarily mean or unkind isn't worth it but being honest is.

• mindseye
    mindseye

Good points, Scully, I find little to argue with. Just a note that not all situations are similar, and not all answers are so cut and dried (for instance, breaking reality to the little old lady who lived her life as a witness, and has only a few years left).

Personally, I think everyone needs some kind of structure/organization/framework from which to function. At the very least, most of us rely on the structure we call "time" - it is essential in relating to other people, to accomplish things. Can you imagine what your life would be like if, all of a sudden, you decided "To hell with this freakin time thing. I hate Mondays so I'm going to remove them from my life. From now on, the week will consist of 6 days of 28 hours each, and Mondays will no longer exist."

Actually, this is not such a bad idea. I might try this if I ever have the resources to get away with it.

All I'm saying is that for the person who requires *that much* structure/regimentation in their lives that the military is a viable alternative to the JW lifestyle, there's probably something going on psychologically (OCD, or addictive personality, for example). I'd venture to guess that in those individuals, they are merely trading one addictive lifestyle for another, and the trade may not be upward.

True. These individuals probably do suffer from some chemical imbalance or some other psychological issue. Unfortunately, some might never seek the psychological help that they need due to the stigma the org has attached to it over the years. So they return to the org for some semblance of 'stability'. It's self-defeating for the person, and manipulative of the org (of course). The ideal solution would be to free the person of the organization and get them serious help, but in my experience that's not always very realistic.

• mindseye
    mindseye

Glander:

As far as not upsetting the applecart of long time JWs who are getting up in years and have lives completely saturated with the org. This is a situation soaked with irony. What about the people they converted or are trying to convert as we speak. Do they think that it would be unkind to convince a lifelong Catholic or Baptist, etc. to abandon their family faith?

True. I find it ironic that when confronted with the reality of the Watchtower society, a Witness will accuse the critic of not being "upbuilding." Meanwhile they're going door to door trying to take people from their own faith!

• Glander
    Glander

I would love to see the following hypothetical Question from Readers answered by the Puppetmasters in NY.

"I am currently holding a bible study with an 80 year old widow. She is a very sheeplike person with a good heart. She has been a Roman Catholic all her life, was married in the church and has seen her 5 children and 22 grandchildren christened and have their catechism ceremony. Through our study of the Bible she sees the falsehoods of the Catholic teachings and I've broughther to the point of baptism. Her family is a very important part of her life and support and they have strongly expressed their objections to her renouncing the Catholic Church. Her life will undoubtedly be in turmoil and with the state of her health, I am concerned if it may not be the loving thing to do to press her to reject her life long belief. What should I do?"

(How about some good WT responses ?)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Each and every person on Earth has the Right to Reality.

Terry, some of them couldn't handle Reality......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopNAI8Pefg

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" -- "A Few Good Men"

(how do you embed these damn youtube links? or ANY link, for that matter??)

I need a teenager to help me!

DOC

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Not to stereotype.....but I believe much of it comes down to age and experience. The cognitive dissonance of a 75 year old man that worked a third shift janitorial job so he can pioneer and remained childless because the end is right around the corner is going to be damn near impossible to overcome. Whereas a 25 year old with his whole life in front of him will likely accept the inconvenient truth a little more readily. Just a hunch

• thinking_1
    thinking_1

Good comments. I agree with many of your points,

Terry,

I completely agree that people have a right to reality. The more you understand about reality around you the better you are able to function. Some try to say that many people are better off not knowing certain things, that it causes mental or emotional damage. For example, when it was discovered that the world was indeed not flat, did it blow peoples mind? Well probably a little, but no one was worse off. That is just a simple example, but I think the same is true for much more complex situations. The more you understand, the better off you are as a person. The more people like that in the world. . .

I'm starting to get a picture of what my life will be like in the near future with regard to family/friends still in. I think a good position to take is the more relaxed, not trying to force my views on people, but letting them know the door is always open if they want to ask me how I feel and why.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit