Prequel to "The Thing" opens in October.

by compound complex 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings SF/Horror cinema lovers:

I recently rewatched my tape of The Thing From Another World [Howard Hawks], considered one of the greatest SF films of all time. In the process of doing my usual cinematic researches, I discovered that a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing is due in theatres in October:

Taking place three days before the events of the John Carpenter film,[3] paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) joins a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across a crashed extraterrestrial spaceship buried in the ice of Antarctica. They discover a creature that seems to have died in the crash eons ago.

When an experiment frees the alien from its frozen prison, Kate joins the crew's pilot, Carter (Joel Edgerton), to keep it from killing and imitating them one at a time, using its uncanny ability to mimic any life form it absorbs through digestion, and potentially reaching civilization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(2011_film)

• tec
    tec

I love the Thing! Will definitely be seeing this prequel. Won't have Kurt Russell, though, and I love him. A lot ;)

Peace,

Tammy

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Tammy ... yeah, not the same without The Computer [who] Wore Tennis Shoes!

Love,

CoCo

• smiddy
    smiddy

John Carpenters "The Thing" was / is one of my most favourite sf movies.I loved the original when I was a kid with "gunsmoke" guy as the thing, thats right james arness in the 50`s ?

I`ll be looking forward to seeing that and hope it doesn`t disappoint me

The opening scenes of J.C`s film with the soundtrack up high is mind bending,with the dog bounding through the ice.

If you havent seen it ? do so

smiddy

• talesin
    talesin

The Thing was one of the best thrillers .... screw CGI~!!!

OY! Tammy,,, me & you love Kurt!!!

:D

t

• talesin
    talesin

smiddy,,,

the system won't let me post on my other thread ... thank you SO much! xo

jen

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

the thing scary good

• Terry
    Terry

My mom took her 3 year baby (me) over and over and over again to see The Thing from Another World.

And, over and over and over again I got an early education in awareness of what film and music can do.

I never stopped being scared to death or appreciating that Dimitri Tiomkin's music was miraculous at evoking the atmosphere of terror and suspense.

Christian Nyby is credited as director but, scuttlebut has always told us that Hawks had to jump in to keep them on time and on budget.

The way dialogue is handled is pure Hawks. The script is smart, snappy and kept interesting by the comraderie of people isolated from civilization

relieving their boredom or their tensions by endless prodding and pranks.

Lighting, cinematography and sound are nothing if not topnotch and spectacular.

John Carpenter's remake is truer to the John W.Campell Jr. short story. The FX were all ANALOG!

I can stop in (while channel surfing) on any scene and be caught up in watching. Funny though, I never remember which

one of the guys is the alien!

Carpenter lost his edge and his taste somewhere along the way and films like Ghosts of Mars got made.

He is reaching way back into his bag of tricks to reignite his career. I doubt seriously he has the chops or the physical

energy to make a good film. However, lowered expectations will work in his favor. The size of his budget will determine

how good the final product is.

I hope he does his own music.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

That's good to hear!! So a prequel for The Thing in October, and the prequel to Alien, aka Prometheus, next year!!! Happy happy, joy joy!! Now if only they could make vampires and werewolves scary again, as opposed to 90210 rip-offs, life would be good. Godzilla is supposed to get a reboot next year, and it will be the first time an American will be the director of a Godzilla. It's supposed to be a remake of the original black and white version. Ahhhh, its good to be a geek again.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I love The Thing. I'll definitely be going to see this.

I'm a big fan of Carpenter's earlier work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit