...Astronomers discover Diamond Planet..

by OUTLAW 12 Replies latest social current

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Posted at 02:00 PM ET, 08/26/2011

Diamond planet discovered by astronomers

By Elizabeth Flock

(Swinburne University) A diamond-crystal planet five times the size of Earth and with more mass than Jupiter has been

discovered in our own Milky Way galaxy.

An international team of astronomers led by Swinburne University of Technology in Australia spotted the exotic planet racing

around a tiny star 4,000 light years away and published their findings Thursday in the journal Science.

The “cosmic bling,” as Wired called it, is far denser than any other known planet, consisting mostly of carbon.

It is because of this density that the carbon must be crystalline, making a large part of the planet diamond.

In addition to carbon, the new planet is likely to also harbor oxygen but not hydrogen and helium.

Astronomers believe the diamond planet was once a huge star of its own before a companion pulsar

ripped off its outer later and stole most of its mass.

Pulsars are dead neutron stars that emit beams of high radiation that appear almost like blinking lights.

The diamond planet orbits a fast-spinning pulsar that’s about 12 miles in diameter, around the same size as London.

Reuters reports that researchers from institutions in five countries used a variety of radio telescopes and 200,000 gigabytes

of data to find the diamond planet and its companion pulsar.

Radio telescope data show that the glittery planet orbits its star at a distance of about 370,000 miles,

making a year on planet diamond just two hours long.

By Elizabeth Flock | 02:00 PM ET, 08/26/2011

Where would you get a Setting for something like that?..

Maybe get a nice Gold Chain and wear the Diamond Planet around your Neck.. Would that be too Flashy?.. "Oh look at me!.. I`m wearing a Diamond Planet!" .................. ...OUTLAW

• Bella15
    Bella15

I didn't read the post ... JUST GET ME A ROCKET AND SEND ME UP THERE NOW ......AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sizemik
    sizemik

I guess this puts the Great Star of Africa firmly in second place

• james_woods
    james_woods

Like Jill St. John said to Sean Connery at the end of Diamonds Are Forever -

"now how are we going to get all those rocks back down here?"

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

OMG, they discovered the planet Midnight!!

Midnight was an airless planet composed mostly of diamond glaciers and mountains which humans had colonized.

The planet's diamond-based geology was active. Diamond falls were a common occurrence. Midnight even had a Sapphire Waterfall. Earthquakes were thought to be impossible though. The planet had been left in silence for millions of years before humanity took over. The planet had no atmosphere and due to the destructive xtonic radiation of its sun it was thought that no life was possible on the planet, be it carbon-based, hydrogen-based, silicates, gas beings or other. (WC: Captain Jack's Monster Files:Midnight)

Despite the hostile environment, the Leisure Palace Company turned it into a leisure planet to take advantage of its spectacular views. Since no human could walk on the surface or even touch the planet's diamonds, Leisure palaces were lowered from space. There was a spa, which had an anti-gravity restaurant, and a bus company called Crusader Tours offered sightseeing trips to the planet's picturesque locations, such as the Sapphire Waterfall, which had its own Waterfall Palace. Its other attractions included Winter Witch Canyon and the Multifaceted Coast.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Midnight

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Oh boy!

WT will be mining that puppy before long!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It makes you wonder what other kinds of planets are out there..

A Giant magnet Planet..Space Junk sticks to..

A Planet made of Jello..Where gorgeous women wrestle..

Or a Meat Planet..

Possibly a Huge Cow with it`s own Weather System..

.................. ...OUTLAW

• james_woods
    james_woods

A Planet made of Jello..Where gorgeous women wrestle..

A mud planet would work just as well - Captain Kirk would be there warp 9.

• glenster
  • AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Yeh right, guys! I think OUTLAW's "Jello Planet" will become a classic on the forum!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit