If you were to address a group of honors students...

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Next Monday afternoon, I'll be discussing a topic of my choice with a group of honors students. I was approved to explain why I'm one of the oldest on campus. So I figured I'd begin with personal stories and what WT says about higher education.

Jeremy has a good topic going, I'll "borrow" from that. Any other suggestions?

I figured I'd also talk about disfellowshipping and the injustice. And I thought about discussing the duplicity between the public message and what they really believe. Any other suggestions?

Also, I need to provide an external source that gives a good, simple overview of the subject. Preferably a webpage that they can quickly check before class. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help. Classes just started, so I'm keeping really busy... trying to set a good example as a studious ex-JW!

• JeffT
    JeffT

Billy

About fifteen years ago I had an opportunity to speak to the high school group at the church we attended at the time. Probably about two hundred kids in the room. I talked for a few minutes and started to take questions. It was clear from some of the questions they didn't quite get what it was like to be a JW. On the spur of the moment I figured out a good way to drive home my point, so I stared on a list and told them to stand up if any of it applied to them.

If you are male and your hair is over your ears or collar.

If you're female and wearing slacks, or your skirt is above your knee.

If you're female and have more than one piercing in each ear, or if any of you have any other part of your body pierced.

If you're male and not wearing a tie (I think I got all of the boys with that one.)

If you participate in organized sports.

I think I had a couple more, but I can't remember them now. About 90% of them were on their standing when I was done. I then said that if this was a KH, everybody on their feet would be meeting with the elders in the back room after the service. From the looks on their faces I think that really hit home.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Thanks Jeff,

I'll certainly add "discouraged from attending college", no holidays or birthdays or dating.

Anybody have any particular ideas on a webpage that I could use to introduce 19-22 yo students to JWs? Something short enough that they'll read, long enough to be meaningful?

Thanks!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hey Billy!

Why don't you try - http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/pamphlet.php ?

There's a double sided one about general JW teachings.

Good Luck!

B the X

• sir82
    sir82

How about making it a more general uplifting message, in addition to bashing (rightfully so) JWs?

Something like "you may not join, or be born into a cult, but at some point you will screw up, or life will shaft you. How will you respond? You can curl up in a ball and feel sorry for yourself, or you can do like I did and make the best of the situation even if it means, for example, being the oldest dude on campus."

• talesin
    talesin

I just read your OP and not the comments (apologies to fellow forum members, long day!).

You may want to have two focuses of your talk/discussion.

Point A

Why I am seeking higher education at a later age? (your personal journey)

Point B

My journey to success - ie, your efforts to get funding, talking to profs to get into classes, etc. etc.

This is a rough, 'quick' analysis, but I would say, generally, engage your students, draw them 'in' with your story. Once you have them, show how the wisdom gained by your life's journey can be applied to their experiences.

tal

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Thanks B the X!

That looks like the best I've found. If JWs are showing up at College Campuses and JWs get discussed in any legal or medical classes, it would be nice if there was something more specific, like, "What College Students Need to Know about JWs". I think most college students would be completely turned off by their condemnation of "higher education", "critical thinking", and the JW hypocracy of demanding rights for their religion yet denying rights within their membership.

I was kinda nervous about tackling this the first week, the first presentation, not knowing the other students at all. The instructor warned that previous topics are frequently revisited throughout the term. So I should have plenty of anti-publishing hours to put on my apostareport slip at the end of each month!

Billy

• talesin
    talesin

;) ah, another ' simul-post' .....

Billy, wanted 2 tell you,,,, you are an inspiration .. thank you

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Billy!!

Please see my suggestion on the other thread... http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/214948/2/Past-Organized-Attempts-to-Level-the-Playing-Field-with-WTBTS

About setting up educational booths or forums, informing college students about cult recruitment and how it works... You might want to make it all-inclusive; that way no one can claim you're targeting any one group, and you will 'arm' the students against groups like Scientology, the Moonies, the Mormons, and so on, all at the same time...

Zid

• talesin
    talesin

Note to Zid: I have been digging in my back closet, can't find those tracts so far,,, basement next!

Billly,,, sorry for off-topic comment,,, carry on!

:))

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit