As a JW Kid Were You Expected To Get Baptised By Your Parents/ Congregation

by Hairyhegoat 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Yes!!! At 11 !!!!! cause Armageddon was coming(for sure) in the fallof 1975 and I wanted to be "in" for a few years b4 it hit....Biggest mistake ever!

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I never did. I knew from the age of six that I was going to escape as soon as I could. My sister got

baptised when she was 16. I tried to talk her out of it but couldn't. I just ignored all the comments.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I escaped until I was 17. I was 6 months away from 18 and was told by mom and step dad that they could by all rights have me leave, because they were not going to have an unbaptised adult living in their home. I also heard comments from my mom and some of the other old bitties that "Oh dear, who will want to marry her if she's not baptised?" Why does this all seem laughable now? NMKA

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I can't think of a single JW who would say no. If you don't get baptised, you are a member of Satans system.

• out4good3
    out4good3
    I can't think of a single JW who would say no. If you don't get baptised, you are a member of Satans system.

What a coincidence......I can think of several.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

16 with "encouragement" from Dad

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

Wow! His quote describes me very well. My father is an elder and I knew what was expected of me and I didn't want to be judged by anyone(especially since my brother was getting baptised also), so I "chose" to get baptized at 16. Im 20. I dont regret my baptism as my parents worry a little less at the moment. Im sure ill regret it the second news of my "apostacy" gets out.

• spanteach
    spanteach

It’s so hypocritical that a JW youth is not even allowed to date because they’re not ready for the commitment of marriage which is the ONLY reason to date. Yet, they are expected to devote their lives to God in their early teens or earlier.

I was on a D.C. part age 3, gave my first talk at age 5 before I’d started school and was conducting a study at recess with a girl I went to school with when I was 10. That being the case, I think my parents’ spiritual expectations for me were always amplified. My dad was an elder when I was in my teens. I wonder if he was getting pressure from the other elders which made him, in turn, pressure me about getting baptized. I remember being about 12 years old and he pointed out two other young “sisters” in the cong who’d recently been baptized. He said “you know more about the truth than they do; why aren’t you baptized yet?” (Like it’s a contest) Both girls came from families with either an absentee father or an unbelieving father; so maybe my dad thought that I was spiritually superior since I had two parents who were Witnesses. However, once I was older, I didn’t feel like baptism was truly my choice. I later noticed that my 3 siblings and I were all about 14 years old when we were baptized. NONE of us are Witnesses now. Very telling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit