I thought the world was JEHOVAH'S

by Tired of the Hypocrisy 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

A few years back, my son who I tried hard not to get in too deep with the Borg was at a football game with some witless kids and a few like himself, parents halfway in the borg. Well he and his brother who was doing all he could to be smiled upon by the elders arrived at the playing field and were just sort of mingling and waiting for the rest of the people to show up, when one really judgmental elder's kid asked another boy why he had worn a South Park shirt to the game. The Sputh PArk shirt kid was pretty sarcastic and answered the question with a question. "What's the matter? Tooo Wooooorldleee for youuuuu?" My youngest son laughed so hard he almost hurt himself.

Okay now it was HIS turn. He had worn a Stewy Griffin Tee that said, "The World is Mine." Well an elder and an ex elder approached to say hello and the ex elder asked him, "I thought the world was JEHOOOOOVAH'S..." My son looked him in the eye, raised up his middle finger and said, "No...IT'S mine...." Even the elder that was standing there laughed! When the boys got home our older boy told on him to my wife and to her dad. They got all pissy about it but I cracked up laughing. My FIL was going to really lash out at him but since I...THE FATHER had decided it was ok, he chose to bite his tongue. But he sort of shi* assed me for about a week.

I am wondering WHY the borg places so much importance on stupid things like not wearing cartoon character tee shirts and the like. All through my youth it was like that and I wore generic clothing and anything fun was discouraged. When I decided to raise a family I swore that I was not going to deny the kids their youth.

The world does not belong to Stewy Griffn nor to my son, but surely them claiming such a thing is no threat to an Almighty creator is it?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I thought Satan was ruler of the world - or have they changed that too?

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I love that one, cantleave!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I thought Satan was ruler of the world

That was my first thought too.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Many JWs--especially elders, as they actually have some authority--have a control freak thing going on. Of course, even elders are subject to the WTS. (Supposedly.)

I've read that people who feel powerless (as in, powerless in the face of a religious corporation calling the shots in their lives) often feel and urge to control things, and people, whenever they can. People are complex and it's never good to dumb a group of people down to a single thought or excuse for bad behavior, but I tend to suspect this has something to do with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit