Do you think Jehovah's Witnesses have more attractive young adults than average?

by sabastious 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

I was recently hanging out with someone that went to the convention last weekend. He/She mentioned that the convention was chock full of hotties and from my memory of the conventions, and I have been to dozens, he/she was right. One thing that comes to mind is that Witnesses can lose privileges within the congregation if they are too dirty so cleanliess (neatness) is especially important. That might be one reason why they appear more attractive than the average citizen. What do you guys think?

-Sab

• jworld
    jworld

Yes I would agree, that the young adults at the convention look attractive. Just out of curiousity did this person attend a convention in the US?

In the US, one thing that I find turns me off is all of the tattoo's people are getting. It's a huge fad here! I don't find them attractive, so when you see young adults without them I personally am more attracted to them. JW's also have that business look. Young people dressed up will always be more attractive than a tatted up person wearing rag shorts etc. Just my two cents...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    did this person attend a convention in the US?

Yes.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I think its because he saw people who were dressed to impress at the convention. For the convention, young gals get their hair done, get a new dress, some new nose bleed heels, brothers get their hair cut, shave, break out the new suit, shine the shoes, and all the other preliminary things that young people do before going out. Now would you recognize another JW at work, or at school? Probably not, they'll blend in with everybody else, no better, or no worse.

edit post: I'm not into the whole tattoo phase either. Gonna be hilarious twenty years from now when all the folks with tribal tats skin starts wrinkling or all the girls with asian tats representing strength get osteoperosis. So much for strength, at least bone density anyway.

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

Whats the average? Amish, Mennonites. Then yes I think JW's young adults are more attractive. peace paulnotsaul

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

LOL PaulNotSaul

• steve2
    steve2

No. it's a monstrously cruel illusion. Unavailable tandoori chicken always looks far more tempting than the tandoori chicken sitting right under your nose.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It's an illusion. You take a gray square and put it in a white background. Take an identical gray square and put it in a black background. The one in the black background is going to look brighter, almost white. The one in the white background will look darker. You can also see this if you have black squares with white space between them, running up and down in a grid. Where the white spaces intersect, you will get the illusion of a gray spot there.

The same thing happens when you put some moderately attractive people in a group where most of the people are ugly (those old fogeys with zero tolerance for fun). Bearing in mind that the stress of being a witless wears people down, and hence destroys this attractiveness faster. This moderately attractive group in the Kingdumb Hell is bound to look more attractive, like your gray square in the black background. Often, the pickings are slim--meaning it doesn't take much to impress others in the congregation. Bearing also in mind that they are programmed to look down on worldly people.

Put those same people in the world, and they don't look so attractive. In fact, they could actually be below average. This is like putting your gray square in the white background. The bigger the group you are comparing these "moderately attractive" people against, the better the chance they are going to look very plain and unappealing. Besides, in the world, you don't have rules against going outside the group.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They aren't prostitute, hottie attractive. The clothing styles can be stilted. I had not seen Witnesses for many years. When I arrived in a major city's train station, there were some poor women with a desk, deep in conversation. Wal-Mart would be deluxe compared to their clothes. They were so neat and clean in a humble way! It affected me deeply. I hate the religion but I recalled so many humble, earnest, good people. Their clothing looked as though it went to a specialty dry cleaners for pressing. Wow.

I thought of my Vogue crazed mind, hunting down goodies at luxury stores or just window shopping. Crass materialism. I felt ashamed. Of course, my rag days in the JW might fuel my materialism.

• steve2
    steve2

Recognition of illusions aside, I think there is something kind of unspeakably alluring about a person who is 'beset' with almost uncontainable sexual desires but ferociously applies the (hand)brake. It creates an intensity and edginess that can elevate the excitement. Kind of like moving real close to the object of desire but withdrawing at the last anxious moment. Of course, I hasten to add that I've only ever read about this phenomenon and never personally experienced it....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit