Why do JW's come to bible studies in pairs?

by howdidtihappen 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• howdidtihappen
    howdidtihappen

My teacher said "The holy spirit is not present unless there's 3 people, usually."

WTF!? She even said it with a straight face.

I KNOW that's not the real reason, so what is? Also should I be honored when an elder sits in on the study (this is the story I was given)... or what's his REAL reason for being there?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

It's so they can all "get their time in", that's the easiest way to get those hours in, go with somebody else on their bible study !!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Besides, you can sit and do nothing and count that hour.

• still thinking
    still thinking

The holy spirit is not present unless there's 3 people, usually."

It's their version of the Trinity....lol

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

The same reason everytime Davey Boy Smith got in trouble, he tagged Brett the Hitman Heart. Or the same reason everytime Animal got in trouble, he tagged Hawk. It's just like WWE wrestling with one exception. The WWE doesn't pretend to be honest or real.

• steve2
    steve2

It's because every blind person needs at least one other blind person to follow them. Having accomplished that, a third person (such as the 'Bible study') is then more likely to blindly follow the other two.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

http://scripturetext.com/matthew/18-20.htm

"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

But I think the real reason is control. Having a second jw there will keep the study conductor from going off the Watchtower rails.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Commentator 1: Sister ScriptureNinja opens up with a Psalms 83:18 to the Study's face!

Commentator 2: The Study is dumbfounded that her Bible containsthe name of the Jehovah's Witnessesreligious diety!

Commentator 1: Oh! In a lightening fast reflex Sister ScriptureNinja tags Sister SingleForTooLong's hand! She immediately slams the Study with a contemporary fact about earthquakes and Bible prophecy that confirms that they are in the last days.

Commentator 1: The Study falls to the floor, unconscious from the shear awe of the realization of what just took place. What's that? She woke up! She's becoming interested in baptism!

THE CROWD GOES WILD AS THEY CHANT: CONVERT HER! CONVERT HER! CONVERT HER!

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I rarely took a second person with me on studies. It was just too hard to coordinate. However if I did, it was to expose the study to more members of the congregation. So that they would feel like they knew a few people and be comfortable going to the hall. Sometimes I would take someone with me that I thought would connect well with the study.

Also if you take people with you, you can "discuss" the students progress, life, children, home, relationships, job, history . . .

This was another reason I went alone. If the person wanted to talk about something, I didn't want them to be the subject of gossip. I guess I had a bit of a conscience even back then.

NC

• howdidtihappen
    howdidtihappen

Great and helpful answers, thank you.

" It's just like WWE wrestling with one exception. The WWE doesn't pretend to be honest or real."

HILARIOUS.

So what's with the elder? Is my progress being measured or something? That was my first thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit