READ,READ,READ!-It feels great

by voltaire 6 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

I've been reading more lately than I ever have, now that I'm on the chopping block to be DF. (Actually for the last 2 months, I've been reading away like mad. I recommend it as a great way to get perspective on life and JWs)

I just finished a short story by Stephen Vincent Benet called "By the Waters of Babylon." (He also wrote "The Devil and Daniel Webster")It's sort of science fiction, but from the thirties, so it's not real high-tech futuristic. It's about a group of primitive people who have survived some destruction of civilization(Of course they don't remember that, it's been so long) The story is told from the point of view of a young man who becomes a priest and decides to journey East to the place of the Gods, which is of course forbidden. He's actually returning to New York, but you don't realize that until toward the end. (Think "Planet of the Apes" and Charlton Heston discovering the Statue of Liberty)He eventually realizes that the inhabitants of the city were really just men, with some really cool technology. When he gets back to his people, he tells his father what he's found out. The exchange is interesting:

"I wished to tell all the people but he showed me otherwise. He said, "Truth is a hard deer to hunt. If you eat too much truth at once, you may die of the truth. It was not idly that our forefathers forbade the Dead Places." He was right-it is better the truth should come little by little."

This struck a nerve with me. For the first time two Saturdays ago, five years after suspecting that the "truth" isn't true after all, I
    told the elders what I really think. It took me 5 long years of real inner turmoil and struggle to be able to handle the truth. Truth was, indeed, "a hard deer to hunt." Sometimes I felt like I was the hunted. It has been painful, "eating" so much truth, I couldn't have done it all at once.

If there's a moral for those who may be doubting and lurking on this board, it's this; take your time. It's a long painful journey for some. Don't give up, try not to despair. When you make it to the other side you WILL feel better.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

voltaire-I agree! Keep posting!

• AMarie
    AMarie

Voltaire:

Very insightful comparison. I agree wholeheartedly.

AMarie

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Voltaire,

I read that book in highschool (grad '72)

You summed it up so nicely "If there's a moral for those who may be doubting and lurking on this board, it's this; take your time. It's a long painful journey for some. Don't give up, try not to despair. When you make it to the other side you WILL feel better"

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I, too, have been reading my head off the last 8 months and feel like there is so much more to read and learn.

j2bf

• rekless
    rekless

I spent 35 years in the org. I didn't read much of anything outside of the orgs. crap...When I quit I looked back over the past 35 years and came to a conclusion that I did not know anything more today than I did when I first got baptized. It was the same stuff packaged and repackaged with the same ole phrases and mind controll messages.

• patio34
    patio34

Rekless,

That is so true, about it being the same old canned stuff. It seems that almost any one of us could write one of those formula, repackaged articles or talks. How did we sit thru it? I hated it so often, but wouldn't admit it even to myself.

Voltaire,
    Reading is fundamental. Those words are so true to completely escape the JW's religion. My 1st books last March were books on evolution, Guns, Germs, & Steel & The Blind Watchmaker being the most important to me.

Pat

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the world." (from "Stuart Saves His Family")

• voltaire
    voltaire

Interesting observations about the WT material. I think that it takes some time in the org. to realize how everything is just repackaged. You can be so impressed by the large volume of books at first, but after you become thoroughly familiar with their body of work you're in a better position to see through it all. By then you've invested years in an illusion, you're family is in. It's not easy to wake up and be honest with yourself at that point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit