Religion/Mental Illness/Schizoprenia

by ranmac 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ranmac
    ranmac

Thanks for your comments everyone.

His "religious delusions" are a small concern compared to his physical and mental condition, but I do find that they are distracting him greatly from taking care of himself. When we talk I wanna tell him to focus on getting better, but he feels its all unimportant now that he has these amazing new spirtual "realizations". Its difficult talking to someone in his state, you have to pick your words carefully, which is hard because that was not what our friendship was before.

• Glander
    Glander

Sounds very much like Bi-Polar (manic/depressive) disorder. Religous fixations are often a component of the episodes. Also, not sleeping. Usually manifests in late teens or early twenties.

Not the same thing as schizo. which is much worse. However, if the person is over 18 there isn't much you can do until they act out to the point you have reason to call the police. Most PD's deal with this a lot and they can and will take them to a hospital on a 48 hour involuntary hold.

Good luck. The key is meds. and whether they will stay with the program.

A tip: A BP sufferer with a credit card can really get themselves in a mess.

• Glander
    Glander

dbl post

• Glander
    Glander

Many scholars have pointed out that Jesus was very likely Bi-Polar. His history right from the gospels illustrate an almost textbook case.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If he does not have the insight to seek help, things are rough. Committing against someone's will is very onerous. Most states call for the person to be an imminent danger to himself or to others. It seems that 80% of homeless are mentally ill. NAMI-Nationally Alliance on Mentall Illnesss -is a nationwide organization. Unlike most self help groups, this is one is very impressive. Many parents and friends are members and cry their eyes out. Professionals are also members. There may be hints or ploys to encourage him to get help.

Religion would prob. be not enough. Jesus according to legend, but not so clearly in the Gospels, asserted he was God. Martin Luther started a crusade against the dominant religion. The different may be that Jesus and Luther were functional in their every days lives.

For a former Witness, imbued with demon fear, your character is awesome. Most people find such talk scary and run. Every case is different and you know more about him than most.

• ranmac
    ranmac

Thanks BOTR

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

yes i am a bipolar.i thought i am jehovah god,and the doctor asked for proof.i told him that my palm could produce water.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit