A Berry abundant summer

by Glander 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

these grow wild all around the house. This is a bumper crop year. A little sugar, pour cream over them...or

mash a cupful and dump them over a bowl of vanilla ice cream...or... mix into a smoothie...or etc etc

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Whoo hoo. Nice. Start a rumtopf

• Glander
    Glander

What's that? I would like to make some alcohol from them. Is that a rumptopf?

Hep me hep me!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It's a Christmas desert made from annual fruits.

Whenever you have ripe fruit, you add some to your rumtopf jar along with some sugar and alcohol. I use rum or grappa.

1/2 lb sugar to every 1 lb of fruit and cover with alcohol.

http://www.germandeli.com/rumtopfrecipe.html

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I make brandy from it.

blackberry brandy

• Glander
    Glander

Kurt.

Now we're talking! Okay, I understand the basic principle of fermentation - fruit, sugar, yeast. But how do you distill the mash?

I used to have a modified commercial coffee maker with a stainless steel tank that worked great.

(Wow, is this how Walter White got started? i.e. Breaking Bad?)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Looks like a fine crop!

Your season is much later than ours. We had dewberries and then blackberries, but they were gone by the beginning of July or earlier.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Glander...blackberries right? They grow everywhere here too. The town even has a Blackberry Festival each year - next weekend in fact - where the blackberry margaritas are flowing like the salmon of capistrano.

• talesin
    talesin

Heading off to the fridge for a dish of berries .....

My (no longer in my life) dad makes awesome wine from them. Brandy would be good, though, kurt ... yum!

tal

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Your season is much later than ours. We had dewberries and then blackberries, but they were gone by the beginning of July or earlier.

It is even earlier here, in April. And our berries are smaller than those in Glander's photo. I guess they are called dewberries. Small vines with sharp thorns. Right now we have wild grapes ripening, and wild little cucumbers that are actually very tasty. Coco plums and sea grapes are also around this time of year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit