Epic Bible Character Endings

by sabastious 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious

I loved the depiction of the Exodus in Dreamworks' The Prince of Egypt with Val Kilmer as a seriously badass Moses and Patrick Stewart as the Egyptian emperor that orders the death of the Hewbrew babies. It's an epic story no doubt.

How do these character story's end in the Bible? I remember as a kid being crushed that Moses didn't get to enter the promise land. I remember feeling he deserved a mulligan for God's sake! The man was brilliant, but had a speech impediment, and thought he was a simpleton until a buring bush explained to him otherwise.

So he got cocky in his old age! Shouldn't we be allotted that after growing old to a life well spent? I guess not, according to the story. Because that's what it's starting to sound like isn't it? It is to me and I am a writer so I feel I can "spot it out" when I see it.

God's mercy, in Moses' case, was not a pardon, but a sentence replacement. We're witholding the death pentaly for past good behaviour including, but limited to: the freedom of the Hewbrew slaves and your extensive work on Mount Sinai, but we're still giving you 110 years to life.

Did someone at least sneak him some of the milk and honey? NO MILK AND HONEY FOR YOU!

From a literary perspective the narrative feels like the traditional sudden tragic ending. Moses was so close to their ultimate goal as free slaves, but at the end just "fell short." It reminds me of the end of Romeo and Juliet where if the timing were just a little differen't they would have been able to be together as Juliet was not actually dead!

For some reason some consumers of fiction want to be suddenly jolted by a twist and the end of the story, sometimes even if it's not really that logical, just so much as it makes the reader, or watcher, feel "tricked" for the majority of the story. I real "AH MAN!" moment I guess. It's never been my taste.

M Night Shyamalan's The Village is a perfect example of a product aimed at the demographic I am describing. The end becomes the reason for making the the entire story which leaves me feeling cheated afterward.

Anyway, Moses isn't the only Bible Character that does a LOAD of good and "falls short" at some point at the end of their story. If you count them on your fingers I bet you'll get to your second hand at least.

It makes me think that maybe these "epic ends" are actually just myths concocted by literary artists. The imagery used in Moses' account could easily be used to interpret as allegory or something similar.

Maybe if Moses ever got to defend himself he'd get to tell us all it didn't "go down" quite like the way it's written down. He might tell us that some stories, or aspects of them, were just embellishment put in to be part of various cultural brands. It seems logical that people would feel that sometimes the truth, that they know, just doesn't have enough "lessons" in it and they need artists to come in and sprikle their truth without losing the spirit of what actually transpired.

-Sab

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Noah went out kinda bold. But none went out worse than lot.

noah

lot

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think about an opposite to what you are saying: David.

He gets into all kinds of trouble, even arranging the death of a husband after getting his wife. (It's good to be king.)
    God kills his son for that one, but David always manages to stay in God's favor. All kinds of stuff happen in the family of David, but he lives to a very ripe old age as king and lays down with a young virgin every night to stay warm. (It's good to be king. If only they had Viagara then.)

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

aaron and miriam also went bye bye along with moses. onthewayout: i always found that passage interesting, the fact that they went out of their way to let you know david wasn't *blanking* her. when you count the various residents of biblical areas that were condemned to die by divine providence, the number goes way beyond fingers. obviously moses sins in comparison to solomon's wouldn't seem relatively comparable...yet solomon still has his own books in the bible. what he(solomon) did was no different than the residents of god's various countries who got fire raining on their ass. so throw all those folks in and you got a huge number of worshipers that probably did a lot of good, and still got the axe.

it all goes to show this is not a forgiving god. he's axing his best people, just stands to reason the absolutely vicious deaths he condemned the lower level guys to. (being attacked and killed by poisonous snakes) - there's a great way to die, these are your people!!!!

if this god is real, we are all %$#*ed.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

onthewayout: i always found that passage interesting, the fact that they went out of their way to let you know david wasn't *blanking* her.

???????????

David desired her and made her pregnant, hence the attempt to have her husband sleep with her. When that failed, David arranged his death.

SO, what you talkin' bout?

• QuitWastingTIME
    QuitWastingTIME

Onthewayout: CptKirk was talking about the virgin who slept on his feet every night. She got screwed cuz she never got any. She was basically a blanket. Pretty messed up. I can't imagine it would be pleasant to sleep on some old guy's feet every night.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Adam and Eve killed every descendant they ever had ..... and got to die of old age. Not exactly epic.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Onthewayout: CptKirk was talking about the virgin who slept on his feet every night.

Oh, yeah.

Let's face it. If there is any truth to the story: If he couldn't get it up, he was still "enjoying" the virgin somehow. Kinda creepy for her.
    I think this is the same thing they do for Hugh Hefner, but they do have Viagara now.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Adam and Eve killed every descendant they ever had ..... and got to die of old age. Not exactly epic.

Their ending might have been as epicly tragic as it gets. They lost eternal life and were exiled for almost a 1,000 years. Sounds like anime stuff, lol.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit