New JW shows up at my wife's work.....

by Open mind 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

So my wife shows up for work and finds out that a self-employed consultant is going to be on site for a few days. She also finds out through the JW grapevine that the consultant is a JW. (My wife and I are faders, but still attend the occasional meeting.)

Throughout the day my wife has several interactions with the consultant and each time, my wife is treated like so much dog manure under the consultant's shoe. The 3rd JW on-site is treated like royalty by the consultant right off the bat because, IMO, the consultant knows the 3rd JW is a JW.

My wife strategically waits until the day is mostly over before blowing her JW cover. My wife asks something like: "So, do you attend the XYZ Congregation?"

180 degree flip in attitude by the consultant.

"Ohhhh, you're a Sister?!?" Gush, gush. Friendly, friendly.

I'm not really sure exactly what, if anything, to make of this. It's not like it's stereotypical JW behavior. There are plenty of JWs who would be friendly to everyone in hopes of "giving a good witness".

Any thoughts?

om

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

JW's are molded through the Borg mindset to be egoists and more accurately narcissists. Worldly people are beneath them. The witnesses have superior knowledge and belong to God's only earthly organization.

Plus, they have to think highly of themselves because to acknowledge what they really are would be depressing.

Many are depressed because they realize that they are not happy within the borg and instead of placing the blame on the WTBTS itself they take the blame solely. The borg then reinforces that preception.

Unfortunately, some come out of the borg with that same egoist attitude and the entitlement mindset of government should provide all things to me. It is understandable because that is what the borg purports that God's new governement will do.

It is hard to break through that frame of mind once it has been hardened, glazed and fired into an individual.

But if you are a Dub, then you are afforded enhanced stature based on your rank within the borg, which is what your wife observed.

MTM

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

LOL That's funny and clever!

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

For what it's worth, I know plenty of Jehovah's Witnesses that treat the people in the congregation worse than the would ever treat a co-worker, no matter how much seniority they have.

I have been guilty of expecting more from Jehovah's Witnesses that worked with me or for me, while being more forgiving and understanding of those who were not of my faith.

• sir82
    sir82
    "Ohhhh, you're a Sister?!?" Gush, gush. Friendly, friendly.

If she wanted to be a pain in the tuckus, she could go on about how she was "stumbled" by his unfriendly nature at first, "how are you going to attract people to The Truth (tm) with an attitude like that?" and so on.

On 2nd thought, nah, don't bother. It might actually prompt the guy to be "fake nice" as is counseled by the KM in order to "give a good witness".

• Open mind
    Open mind

Momma-Tossed-Me: Interesting analysis. When I have a bit more time, I'd like to ask for more clarification on a couple points you made.

I think the main reason I shared this story is I would have loved to have been there when the consultant made the 180 degree flip.

Jim Morrison was definitely right with "People are strange."

JW people are even stranger.

om

• Open mind
    Open mind

don'tplaceliterature: I appreciate your honesty.

sir82: Not a bad idea, but I think you're right about the end result being "fake nice".

om

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If this lady had just a little more holy spirit, she could have exhibited the New Personality all day long. Her spiritual batteries were obviously running low. She'll want to do some evening witnessing as soon as possible to get a boost.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oooooo, that self-employed consultant is SO asking for trouble by showing favoritism towards JW employees!!! Any secular employer worth his salt can see the problems with having only a FEW "special" employees given the FULL attention of the consultant, while the rest of the employees are left to go begging....

That is about the worst case of unprofessional behavior I have ever heard of!! .... This wasn't in a Jehovah's Witness-owned company, was it? If so, then there could be a basis for a case of actual discrimination against certain employees due to religious orientation!!

• Open mind
    Open mind

leavingwt: Thanks for making me nauseous. LOL.

ziddina: "This wasn't in a Jehovah's Witness-owned company, was it? "

No. Even if it was, it would be pretty tough to get anywhere with a discrimination lawsuit, IMO. The consultant was just being cold toward my wife and gushy, friendly, talkative with the other JW there. She didn't overtly say or do anything illegal. But she immediately recognized she had been cold towards my wife, judging by her changed demeanor when my wife dropped the "fellow-JW" bomb.

Just my $.02. I used to watch LA Law all the time so I'm pretty well informed on matters of law.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit