the 1999 WT stand on sterilization...

by Aussie Oz 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Noting the thread on artificial insemination, i did a quick search under 'sperm' in the WT LIb and found what i beleive is another classic case of ''Its up to your conscience BUT we are telling you..." Certainly harder than the 5/1/85 discussion on it...

The watctower 6/15/99 questions from readers (which we all pretty much figure is not from readers) has this to say;

"sincereChristian...reproductive powers are a gift from our Creator...respect for reproductive organs; these were not to be destroyed needlessly...Paul did encourage passionate ‘younger widows to marry and bear children...He did not bring up the permanent sterilization of Christians—their voluntarily sacrificing their reproductive potential...Christians do well to weigh such indications that God esteems their reproductive ability...reluctantly submitted to a sterilization procedure...Christians who are not facing such an unusual and distinct risk would certainly want to use ‘soundness of mind’ and shape their thinking and deeds by God’s esteem for reproductive potential...mature sensitivity to Scriptural indications...others doubt whether he (or, she) was a good example...Such a disturbing blemish on one’s reputation could, of course, affect a minister’s being qualified for special privileges of service".

and most but not all of the article is below...

Consequently, it is unrealistic to treat male or female sterilization lightly, as if it were temporary birth control. And for the sincere Christian, there are other aspects to consider.

A central point is that reproductive powers are a gift from our Creator. His original purpose included procreation by perfect humans, who would “fill the earth and subdue it.” (Genesis 1:28) After the Flood cut earth’s population to eight, God repeated those basic instructions. (Genesis 9:1) God did not repeat that command to the nation of Israel, but Israelites viewed having offspring as something very desirable.—1 Samuel 1:1-11; Psalm 128:3.

God’s Law to Israel contained indications of his regard for human procreation. For example, if a married man died before producing a son to carry on his lineage, his brother was to father a son by brother-in-law marriage. (Deuteronomy 25:5) More to the point was the law about a wife who tried to help her husband in a fight. If she grasped the privates of her husband’s opponent, her hand was to be amputated; significantly, God did not require eye-for-eye damage to her or her husband’s reproductive organs. (Deuteronomy 25:11, 12) This law would clearly engender respect for reproductive organs; these were not to be destroyed needlessly.

We know that Christians are not under Israel’s Law, so the regulation at Deuteronomy 25:11, 12 is not binding on them. Jesus neither ordered nor implied that his disciples must marry and have as many children as possible, which many couples have considered when deciding on whether to use some method of birth control. (Matthew 19:10-12) The apostlePaul did encourage passionate ‘younger widows to marry and bear children.’ (1 Timothy 5:11-14) He did not bring up the permanent sterilization of Christians—their voluntarily sacrificing their reproductive potential to bear children.

Christians do well to weigh such indications that God esteems their reproductive ability. Each couple must determine if and when they will employ appropriate methods of family planning. Granted, their decision would be particularly telling if there were confirmed medical assurances that mother or child faced grave medical risks, even a probability of death, with a future pregnancy. Some in that situation have reluctantly submitted to a sterilization procedure as described earlier to make sure that no pregnancy would threaten the life of the mother (who may already have other children) or that of a child who might later be born with a life-threatening health problem.

But Christians who are not facing such an unusual and distinct risk would certainly want to use ‘soundness of mind’ and shape their thinking and deeds by God’s esteem for reproductive potential. (1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:8; 2:2, 5-8) This would reflect mature sensitivity to Scriptural indications. Yet, what if it became publicly known that a Christian blithely disregarded God’s evaluations? Would not others doubt whether he (or, she) was a good example, having a reputation of making decisions in harmony with the Bible? Such a disturbing blemish on one’s reputation could, of course, affect a minister’s being qualified for special privileges of service, though that might not be so if one had in ignorance had this procedure performed.—1 Timothy 3:7.

oz

• sizemik
    sizemik

The inferences are clear and unmistakeable . . . if only the scriptural references were in any way as clear or supportive.

Going beyond the things written to interfere in something that is none of their business . . . arrogant pricks is all I can say.

And they can't help dragging out the old threats and guilt control mechanisms . . . being frowned on by others . . . and not receiving "privileges"

They just love playing God

• Terry
    Terry

This organization talks out of both sides of its "mouth".

How many decades has the Watchtower counseled youth to refrain from getting married, educated and gainfully employed?

Selling magazines and books is the be-all and end-all and not taking on marriage and children!

It is women, mainly, who drive this organization's door to door work and at home indoctrination work of creating good little witnesses.

So, which is it? Marry and produce little JW's or not?

"sincereChristian...reproductive powers are a gift from our Creator...respect for reproductive organs; these were not to be destroyed needlessly...Paul did encourage passionate ‘younger widows to marry and bear children.

• blondie
    blondie
    This organization talks out of both sides of its "mouth".

Terry, a phrase I use many times about the WTS. It's a CYA measure.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    It's a CYA measure.

You nailed it Blondie . . .

Then they will selectively use it at a later date to support whatever barrow they are currently pushing . . . or to refute criticism of their current stance. And the R&F in particular, will swallow it whole.

I used to think they were just being sloppy . . . but the repeated use of the practice, seen moreso with critical hindsight . . . comes across as a deliberate tactic.

• flipper
    flipper

Just another idiotic example of the WT society sticking it's nose into JW members private business which doesn't involve them at all ! If they are so concerned about people keeping their reproductive powers active- then stop telling young JW men & women to delay having a family in order to go pounding on doors marketing the false Paradise hope . Tell them to " be fruitful & become many " . To go live a REAL life. WT society won't do that though - it would create too many people to control. They can only handle 7 million at a time. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yet, what if it became publicly known that a Christian blithely disregarded God’s evaluations? Would not others doubt whether he (or, she) was a good example, having a reputation of making decisions in harmony with the Bible? Such a disturbing blemish on one’s reputation could, of course, affect a minister’s being qualified for special privileges of service

So all you elders looking for a way to step down, go get a vasectomy. Make it public, then cite the article and step down.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I had my vasectomy done not long before that came out...

I was ignorant about the 85 article and it was widely known that i had the snip...didnt stop them from premoting me! I'll lay odds that most JWs inc elders totally ignored that particular control article.

oz

• blondie
    blondie

This also includes tubal ligation. What elders fail to realize this is not just a convenient method of birth control. I knew several sisters who absolutely could not get pregnant. They could never live through it and pharmaceutical birth control is not 100% effective. Of course if some woman got pregnant she could not have an abortion or a blood transfusion if the pregnancy took a bad turn (guaranteed).

Remember these are the jokers that gave us the doctrine that bestiality and homosexuality were not grounds for a "scriptural" divorce and they reversed that quite quickly.

*** w72 1/1 p. 32 Questions From Readers ***While both homosexuality and bestiality are disgusting perversions, in the case of neither one is the marriage tie broken. It is broken only by acts that make an individual "one flesh" with a person of the opposite sex other than his or her legal marriage mate.

*** w74 3/1 p. 160 Questions From Readers ***For example, adultery, homosexuality and bestiality (different forms of por?nei´a) were capital offenses under the Law and therefore paved the way for the surviving mate to remarry. (Lev. 20:10, 13, 15, 16)

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I love how they brought out younger widows to remarry and have children they did not bring up permanant sterilization. Yes that is true but back then women was consider property they lived in a society were children was wealth especially if it was a boy. If they had the freedom of sterilization and it was available back then I bet alot of the women would have had it. Remember they lived in a culture where it was shameful not to have children. The more children you could have showed God was blessing you. The mans penis ruled the day. It made him more of a man if he could get his wife pregnant.

Please answer this for me how can a tubal ligation be a disturbing blemish on your reputation. Does the women go around with their heads shaved and have a big red TL painted on their back. It just goes to show you a bunch of old men on the GB just does not have a clue what it is like to be a women. I remember back in 1982 two elders came over to our house and told us we had demons because my wife had her tubes tied after the birth of our last son. The reason for that statement? Because I had lost my job and was looking for work and we needed some food. You know this is a cult when they go out of their way to kick you when your are down instead of giving you comfort and help. Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit