It has been a year since I started school ** an update**

by noni1974 24 Replies latest jw friends

• out4good3
    out4good3

Congratulations Noni!!!!

In fact, congratulations to all who've chosen to improve their life through educating themselves rather that waiting for the WT pair "o" dice pipe dream.

I am also of this illustrious group. I am taking the final 12 hours for my bachelors and am graduating this fall. Classes start in two weeks.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Good job! I'm also in my thirties and in college. I'll be graduating next spring.

If anyone's debating starting college as a non-traditional student, give it a shot! There's more of us nontrads out there than you think.

• Curtains
    Curtains

congrats noni. keep going.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

Great job! I am in my thirties and in college as well. I graduate with honors this spring from a 5-year program. (BS+MA Accountancy) It is more difficult for us non-trads, I believe, because we also have "real life" to attend to in addition to classes, but it is possible to strike a balance.

Good luck on the rest! It looks like you are taking the campus by storm!!

• noni1974
    noni1974

I spent 20 years doubting myself and wondering if I could ever pass the GED test, let alone go to college. I was sort of waiting for my life to somehow become what I wanted it to be. I didn't know how that was going to happen. I didn't connect my waiting for my life to be different with my experiance as an JW and the old "wait on Jehovah" thing until recently. It all came to a boil when I turned 35 years old. I decided to stop waiting and take my life into my own hands and do what I wanted to do.

That was when I decided to get my GED and go to college. I hoped I would do well in school but I still doubted myself. I have learned in the last year that I can do anything I put my mind to. I'm smart, talented, and creative. Three things I would have never said about myself before. School has opened new friendships to me that I appreciate everyday. School is so much fun. I really love it and the people I meet at school.

I really want anyone who wants to go to school to take the risk and go for your dreams. Dreams come true for those who go after them.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yes, you can succeed outside the Watch Tower

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yaaay! Awesome. Smart girl

Keep on keepin on, Noni

• Quandry
    Quandry

noni congratulations to you! You have learned that you have what it takes, and that you are the master of your life.

I am glad that you are only in your thirties. I spent over thirty years in the collective. After disconnecting myself and going through a very low point, I also took the reigns of life. I have eight more on-line classes to go. I must work full time, so I will graduate in one and one half years, taking two classes at a time. I will be almost sixty-one years old.

It is never too late. I enjoy everything I learn, and even though I may never use my degree, I WILL have it.

Knowledge is freeing! I give encouragement to everyone to go for it!!

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

noni1974,

"I didn't connect my waiting for my life to be different with my experience as a JW and the old 'wait on Jehovah' thing until recently."

The indoctrination is hard to shake. Congratulations on making the break and your newfound confidence in yourself. It will serve you well.

Reopened Mind

• talesin
    talesin

Woop! Woop!

AND made the Dean's List...

I am busting with happiness for you!

tal

*loves education* klass

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit