why give the elders power over your lives?

by dawntodaylight 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Confession offers major emotional release. I am always posting not to acknowledge the legitimacy of a board that is going to disfellowship you with no opportunity to advocate for yourself. The only power elders have is the power you give them on a silver platter.

The above is clear to me b/c I've been out for decades. Personally, my family had disdain for elders so we never went to them. In fact, we purposefully stayed as far away from them as possible if there were any pressing concern. Trusted JWs were used in their place. Someone in the Witnesses is already under mind control. We are told to seek their aid. In fact, the Witnesses say Jehovah himself is ordering us to do it. I recall being so terrified of Armageddon and demons.

If your upbringing teaches you not to reveal personal business and not be too deferential, you would not be in the Witnesses in the first place.

I always heard horror stories of lives made much worse by elders. Not understanding children was the main complaint. Perhaps people are helped, though. I vow to write letters of praise and good service for every letter of complaint I send. My vow is broken regularly.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

You are asking the question from the perspective of one who no longer believes. An active, believing JW doesn't view it as giving the elders power over their lives. They view the elders as loving shepherds who are appointed by holy spirit.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Most JW's do not feel worthy of being a JW because they recognize it is impossible to meet all the demands put on them. Those men who bceome elders are viewed as Uber Witnesses. They have met "scriptural requirements" and are "appointed by Holy Spirit." So who wouldn't go to the ones who have it all together in order to get direction on how to be like them? It's quite delusional and sick. The fact that most all complain about the elders and yet submit to them because of thier "qualifications" and or the directive NOT to challenge authority, submit to the stupidest things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit