We never claimed to prophesy

by Honesty 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Honesty
    Honesty

When a JW tells you that, show them this:

JUNE 15, 1964 Watchtower

Page 365

Parargraph 22

As Jehovah revealed his truths by means of the first-century Christian congregation so he does today by means of the present-day Christian congregation. Through this agency he is having carried out prophesying on an intensified and unparalleled scale. All this activity is not an accident. Jehovah is the one behind all of it.

• Lore
    Lore

Yeah. . . but. . . the words "We are prophets" did not appear in that paragraph. It just said that they are 'carrying out prophesying'.

You know, it's the same way with murderers. They can say: "I've carried out multiple murders" but as long as they've never said the words: "I'm a murderer" the label doesn't apply.

• sir82
    sir82

Yes but, as usual, the WT redefines words to suit its purpose.

Somewhere in the 60's or 70's there was an article stating that the term "prophet" could mean just "someone making pronouncements for God" or some such folderol; i.e., "being a prophet" does not necessarily mean "foretelling the future".

• VM44
    VM44

What about the WT article "They will Know that a Prophet was among them." published in the early 1970's?

Does anyone have a complete PDF of the orginal of that article?

• Ding
    Ding

The October 1, 1982 Watchtower, pages 26-27 says that just as Jeremiah was a "prophet to the nations," so in these last days before Har-Magedon, there is a remnant of the "prophet class," the "Jeremiah class" on earth. Only they understand the importance of 1914, etc.

If that isn't claiming to be Jehovah's prophet, just like Jeremiah was, then what ARE they saying?

There's also the April 1, 1972 Watchtower, p. 197.

The article is entitled, "They Shall Know that a Prophet Was Among Them."

It has the following quote:

"Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a `prophet' of God. It is another thing to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record. What does it show?"

If you actually EXAMINE their record, they yell, "Old light!" and "Persecution!"

• Honesty
    Honesty

Have you ever wondered why a JW denies that the 'slave' prophesies?

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

When we were kids we played the game Simon Says, remember that one? It teaches kids to listen to exact and explicit wording of commands.

A recent U.S. president said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky." Of course, he meant he didn't have engage in vaginal penetration. It was only thanks to a dress that never made it to the dry cleaners that convinced the world that he indeed had a happy ending. LIttle consolation to Hillary, I'm sure.

The Watchtower continues to play similar word games. Another one, "we never stated "Jehovah said" ..." They're good at the Simon Says game. What else is new.

Len

• wasblind
    wasblind

We all know, and have proof that they claimed to be prophets in a 1972 mag

but they say they are not "inspired" prophets. But In the October 1, 2010 WT

on page 30 under the heading ( A TOOL TO SPREAD GOOD NEWS ) they give this quote:

"Holy spirit empowered some of those zealous preachers with the miraculous ability to preach

fluently in lauguages the had never before learned to speak."

On page 31 of this same mag they quote under the heading ( WHO GIVE EVIDENCE OF HAVING HOLY SPIRIT ?)

"Hence, this international preaching work would continue to be an identifying mark fo those who are truly empowered by holy spirit. What do you think ? with what group of people do you find evidence of holy spirit today ? "

They are most definitly claiming inspiration in this mag

INSPIRATION + PROPHET + PREDICTING THAT THE GENERATION WHO SAW THE EVENTS OF 1914 WOULD SEE THE END = FALSE PROPHET

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

I use this and other tasty quotes in my paper "Do Christians Have Human Leaders?" Personally, I like where they said "God is still speaking. But are we listening?"

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

An uninspired prophet can only be a false prophet.. unless they are very very lucky.. and the WTS wasn't very lucky with their predictions. They got them all wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit