Was Rutherford drunk when.....?

by Pureheart 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Have any of you read the Finished Mystery that was written in 1917? It was started by Russell and completed by Rutherford who published it. I am half way through the book and have skimmed through the majority of it.
    Rutherford either had to be drunk or crazy when he wrote that pitiful interpretation of Revelations. Where did he get his interpretation from? I wish that he could be resurrected right now and made to go from door to door with that craziness. No wonder the boys in New York stopped printing it. It is exactly false prophesy.
    I can see why the book was banned. It is full of slander and lies, directed toward certain people and organizations.

Pureheart

• Moxy
    Moxy

it is pretty funny. i havent read in ages. i wouldnt mind getting another look at it sometime. its fun.

mox

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I think Rutherford was desperate.
    The theologian was dead,there was noone else intellectually Russells equal. There was a pile of Russell bits and pieces, and it got put together into a book.I think the aim likely would have been to tie Rutherfords regime to Russells.The legacy continues.

• JanH
    JanH

Pure,

I don't think Rutherford wrote anything of Finished Mystery. It was Fisher and Woodworth who wrote it, more or less losely following notes from Russell.

Woodworth in particular didn't need to get drunk to be insane.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Sage
    Sage

Yes, Russell did not write the book. He had intended in writing a book but never got the opportunity. Only about 1/4 of the bok has quotes taken from Russell's writings, and these quotes are nothing dynamic. However put ones own thought between these quotes and you come up with some nifty doctrines. The book was mainloy complied By C.J. Woodworth who compiled the "Bible Students Manual," and George Fisher, who eventually wrote a damaging tract against Rutherford. And was taking him to court, to oust Rutherford from his throne, supposedly he had all the paperwork to prove what Rutherfiord did was illegal. However, he died before any action was taken.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I've read it. Fortunately, my copy is in very poor condition and is split in two sections, so it was easier to read it (haha).

Pureheart, do you have the 'treason edition' or a later one? This book was published (in various revised edition) and supposedly stocked by the WT up into the thirties.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

You guys are right. I looked in the proclaimers book and it gave the credits for the Finished Mystery to 2 men other than Rutherford and Russel. They must have been high or crazy too.

I printed the copy that I have now from "The News and Observer"; the 75,000 Edition. I went to one of the sites that was selling copies of the originals for just under one thousand dollars, U.S. currency. That is a little steep for me. I trust the copies that Kent have on his site to be pretty accurate.

Pureheart

• Norm
    Norm

C.J. Woodworth was also the "editor" of the Golden Age, the forerunner of Awake! for a few years. Just read some of that magazines articles against vaccinations and you can see Woodworth's insanity in full flight. In the end he got too kooky even for Rutherford and was removed as editor.

In the Finished Mystery book his insanity also get full expression, it didn't suffer noticably by having another idiot, Russell, insane ramblings as a "resource".

Norm

• moman
    moman

How does The Finished Mystery babble differ from the Borgs present teachings? It was NUTTY then & just as NUTTY now!

• You Know
    You Know
    Rutherford either had to be drunk or crazy when he wrote that pitiful interpretation of Revelations.

Yes, he was drunk, but not with liquid booze. Isaiah describes the sort of inebriation that Jehovah's servants are particularly susceptible to were he says: "They have become intoxicated, but not with wine; they have moved unsteadily, but not because of intoxicationg liquor." / You Know

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit