Do JW's analyze people to determine how to get you to join?

by dgp 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dgp
    dgp

When I was reading one of Steven Hassan's books, I learned that Moonies analyze people's personalities and define them as doers, thinkers, and two other categories that escape me now. Mr. Hassan says that people do not join cults; rather, they are recruited into them. The Moonies, for example, do analyze who you are and how best they can get you in. If you're not of sane mind, for example, they don't want you.

That said, when I was still in contact with the witnesses, the woman in question recommended that I read "Please Understand Me II". She even told me what category I was in, according to her, which means she had really read the book and used its principles to categorize people.

Her saying that gave me the creeps and I got myself the book only to be able to read what she had read. When I had it, I checked myself and found she was in the wrong about what category of people I am.

But my point is this: do Jehovah's witnesses consciously do what the Moonies do, namely, do they analyze people, put them on a category, and use that to get you to join?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

No. They don't care one whit for who you are before joining. Either you're the type that can be molded into what the Borg wants you to be or you are not. If not, they "shake the dust off their feet" and go to the next door. Recruits adapt to fit the Borg, the Borg doesn't adapt for anyone but their own lawyers.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I disagree with Sweeney. They look at what you are and try to use that as a stepping stone to get you to even consider talking to JWs. Then they go from there.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Sure they do.

They have a book with all sorts of conversation starters and advice to look around to see what type of person you will be speaking to so that you will be prepared.

Do they have toys in the yard? Start with families and children's issues.

Take issues of magazines to them with topics that are designed to speak to their interests. Select a book to start studying with them that you feel will address their "needs."

Reel them in slowly, imperceptibly......

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They look at what you are and try to use that as a stepping stone to get you to even consider talking to JWs. Then they go from there.

No, they don't. They go to every door on the street and they give the exact same presentation at each one. Any JW who actually starts out with a bunch of personal questions to do an on-the-spot psychological analysis of the householder is extremely rare, and there certainly is no psychological testing system in place by the Borg like there is with the Moonies.

If you meant something else then I apologize for misunderstanding. What exactly are you talking about?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Reasoning from the scriptures book. Im referring to always trying to find a common ground. I know most JWs dont go that far but the pioneers I worked with did.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Qualifications for becoming a Jehovah`s Witness..

1) Do you have a Pulse?..

2) Are you Interested?..

If the Answer is Yes to Both those Questions..

Welcome to Watchtower World!..

http://static6.depositphotos.com/1000816/557/i/450/dep_5571158-Full-length-image-of-two-successful-business-men-shaking-hands-with-eachoth.jpg

........................... ...OUTLAW

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They do want everyone in--even those who are inclined to kill and eat babies. And yes, they do observe the surroundings to determine how best to ensnare the people--based on what they are interested in, what problems they are facing, and anything else they can exploit. And yes, they do break promises to get people scammed in.

• undercover
    undercover

No, not to the level that was described about the Moonies.

Like was mentioned, they have the same method they use for pretty much everyone. It's up the person's heart condition, if they respond or not. That's the JW fall back position when basically no one responds...their heart wasn't right. It alleviates them of any responsibility...or extra effort...if no one responds to their 30 second magazine presentation.

Some more zealous pioneers may use some salesmenship when trying to get a person to committ to the next level. Appeal to a sense of justice, if they bemoan the world's conditions...appeal to a happy future for their kids...a world without sickness, if they're diseased. But that's more of a person to person type sales style, not a sanctioned and practiced company policy.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

What undercover said. It is a sales technique, not an analysis. It's as much of an analysis as looking into a room and determining whether the lights are turned on or not. When you see toys in the yard, mention kids and famiily. Brilliant! No, that's not analysis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit