Why I am afraid to admit to being and atheist in real life in the US.

by JonathanH 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I was in Miami a few weeks ago with my manager and I did teach him the southern Bible belt equivalent of "All due respect" as in, "All due respect, but you, my friend, are a moron."

Here it's "Bless your heart", as in "Bless your heart poor thing, you just aren't right in the head."

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Others have told me they were worried about my soul. My answer was "That makes one of us. Thanks for your concern."

Worried about your soul? What does that even mean? It sounds like Jesus-freak code language to me...

-sab

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Worried about my soul because I clearly was not living a life in line with God's high standards, like smoking, drinking, spending sunday morning playingg golf instead of going to church, having sex, that sort of thing. Things I would go to hell for doing.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Isn't it funny when they can say you're going to hell with a smile on their face? And if you take offense, then they are expressing their freedom of speech, but you are persecuting.

Again that has just been some people. I also know some very respectful Christians.

NC

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

funny in the ha ha sense or funny in the "go be a jesus moron somewhere else, i have shit to do" sense?

I'm comfortable with either one.

• dgp
    dgp

It is always dangerous to be different from the pack.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JonathanH:

I sort of understand how you feel and there is definitely a difference of opinion in various regions of the country. Sad to say, some people in the so-called bible belt might think that somebody from the northeast or from a large metropolitan city is a dissolute sinner who is prone to every kind of vice. All a person would need to say when in the company of somebody from said bible belt is that they are an "athiest". You will then be able to hear a pin drop.

I always was and am of the opinion that religious beliefs are personal and should be handled delicately in social situations. This is why it is said that you shouldn't discuss religion or politics in a setting with strangers.

So, if somebody decides to be a maverick and blurt out that he is ( take your pick )...he should not be surprised if he meets with something less than friendly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit