Is It Cognitive Bias or Is It Intentional?

by breakfast of champions 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

With this latest WT article dealing with the 587/607 disparity, I truly have to wonder how people who have obviously done much research on the subject can SYSTEMATICALLY and PURPOSEFULLY either suppress or cast doubt upon all 'negative' evidence, while manipulating facts so they appear to support their stance.

Is this a case of COGNITIVE BIAS("a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" as Paul Simon said)?

Or is this a matter of KNOWING what the facts are and INTENTIONALY MISLEADING people?

Maybe I already answered my own question.

• wobble
    wobble

The Writing department of the WT is filled with "Yes" men who will produce an article as the GB want it. I do not believe they are deluded, you can tell when someone truly believes their own BS, these guys do not.

They are hard-hearted liars with a contempt for the public, the ordinary JW, and above all, contempt for the truth.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Look at their history. They have used selective quotes taken from books that otherwise support 587. I try not to judge peoples motives, though. Maybe they are self-deluded, I don't know. Wobble, I have a great deal of respect for you and your comments, but how can you really KNOW that they don't believe their own nonsense? Just saying..

• nugget
    nugget

They must know that what they write does an injustice to the source texts, they must know that they have taken words out of context. This is deliberate deception. What is worse is that on the basis of what they write other people are condemned and shunned.

• sizemik
    sizemik

It's hard to know for sure what's going on in another persons mind.

I would be suprised if some of those doing the research and writing, haven't cottoned on that it's BS they are constantly coughing up. Any slightly removed from that task, will find it easier for the confirmation bias to kick in.

Remember though that confirmation bias is born out of a natural psychological need for self-justification. Even those who recognise the lies will likely have some other justification for participating in the deception . . . ie; the rest of it is true, and this little error doesn't change the whole concept . . . so I won't stumble anybody over it. Some may even justify it solely to avoid the wrath of those around them . . . and maintain their comfy position on the basis of "I'm not the only one to blame"

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I don't claim to know.......but it seems to me that those who are using the references to 'prove' 607 surely read the context and chopped it up for their own twisted doctrine.

Like in the 'Breakfast for Schmucks' film a character quotes Lennon as saying: 'You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not.' Later in the film he quotes it as 'Not the only one'. He knew what Lennon said but misquoted for the appropriateness of the circumstances.

I really feel the writers of the literal-trash know what they're playing at with propaganda stunts!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Great discussion of the psychology of cognitive bias - justification to ease cognitive dissonance - here:

http://libsyn.com/media/forgoodreason/FGR_2010_02_20_Carol_Tavris.mp3

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yeah that's a great interview Mad . . . applied psychology.

It also demonstrates the amazing lengths the mind will go to.

I really feel the writers of the literal-trash know what they're playing at with propaganda stunts!

Hard to avoid that conclusion Punk . . . just how many are complicit is the question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit