EX-JW Activism, anything new?

by Mindchild 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I’ve seen posts here and there in the past months on this board that talk about ex-dub activism but I hate to admit this but most of the activities mentioned are rather ineffective in really doing anything but making us ex-dubs feel collectively better.

We have discussed protesting at conventions, making a protest walk, peeing on C.T. Russell’s grave, playing some games at local Kingdom Halls, and playing mind games with dubs online. I really don’t have anything against these forms of activism but I don’t think they accomplish much.

What I therefore dare suggest and beg for your comments are new ideas of how we can redirect our anger more effectively and support actions and causes that sting the Borg like Hell and also help others out the door.

I have nothing but praise for the actions of people who take a stand like Silent Lambs, or others who have setup informative ex-dub websites and I think one good thing we could do is support these efforts by doing some fund raising.

I also would love to stick something right up the ass of the GB but I’m trying to think of just how to do it. The reason that it needs careful thought is that sometimes our efforts can easily backfire against us creating sympathy for their cause instead of waking people up. For instance, if you went and vandalized a local Kingdom Hall by spray painting it or whatever, that not only gives them community support for being the “underdog” and victim of a crime, but it is also illegal and has some risk of consequences to you. Anything like this kind of direct action is at present counterproductive. It would be even worse to physically harass or hurt an individual.

I’m guessing then you have to be much more clever to have an impact and make a difference. It is not difficult to get media attention for some actions, like recently a mass group of protestors used ordinary mirrors to reflect sunlight into some nasty corporations to “light” up their dirty deeds…and of course we could use the line of “new light” for doing the same thing at WTS headquarters but it is only a bit of protest, not much more.

I would like to see the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society pay out tens of millions of dollars. With the current money crunch the WTS has, that would really hurt the bastards. Successful lawsuits have a chance of doing this but I think that might take several years to get to the point where they will add up enough to make a difference.

So, how do you stop their presses, assemblies, preaching, and other misdeeds without letting them yell “terrorists”?

Skipper

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good questions, mindchild.

I would suggest lobbying govts to outlaw, or at the least, make door to door, or public canvassing allowable to only qualified, registered agaents.

SS

• roybatty
    roybatty

One thing that always "stirred things up" at the local Kingdom Hall was when some "apostate" ran an ad in the local paper. Dubs where always whispering "who do you think ran the ad? Have you met anyone in the territory that mentioned the ad? etc."
    I always wonder how effective it would be to place an ad that someone suggested to me.

"Jehovah's Witnesses-DANGER AT YOUR DOOR! (800) Why-1914"

Quite simple.

• rekless
    rekless

I suggest that we all leave this forum for a year come back and see if we have progress to a degree that we no longer need to discuss the borg.

I tend to let the past slip away until I visit this board then all my "I want to get even attitude" comes back.

• anewperson
    anewperson

Put up a huge or easily seen billboard: Watchtower Society's Pedophile Coverup: www.silentlambs.com ; put it near a highway if possible so that a lot of people will see it. Later put another up, then another. They will be good witnesses to the real truth. If the billboards are not affordable do the same with posters put in the lower back part of your car/s though not to where they block your own
    ability to see traffic

• larc
    larc

My wife has sent emails to a number of newspaper editors regarding the Silent Lambs issue. A few have responded to her and are interested.

I think there are several things we can do all over the country that can make a difference, such as filling out request cards at all the libraries in our areas, requesting that they obtain Ray Fran's books and Jim Penton's book. We can place the 1-800-why1914 number along with the Silent Lambs web site in an ad in our local newspaper.

As far as a bill board goes, I don't have the money for that kind of advertising.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Roy, I remember seeing those newspaper ads before too. In fact the reason I got involved at all with the ex-JW online community some years back was from reading an ad in a USA Today Newspaper that simply said something to the effect of meet ex-JW's in your own area and along with it a URL. A small ad in the newspaper is not terribly expensive but to get the maximum mileage out of something it would have to have a good hook to get the person to investigate more and also reach as many people as possible. I still think USA Today might be a good place to try something like that as it doesn't have a whole lot of ads and it is often found free in coffee shops all around the country and people read the paper while they are waiting for their meals. So, I think that is a good idea.

Anewperson, a billboard might draw attention too if it was done in the right location but typically the good locations are expensive. Bumper stickers might work but you are limited to a few words and people will likely forget them soon anyway because they are driving.

Rekless, I doubt if leaving for a year would make a bit of difference. The damage done by the Borg is a life altering event. You can certainly go past it and many people have, but while you are here, why not enjoy the ride? I think the best way to do that is focus your anger on something that deserves it: The WTS.

Skipper

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Mindchild:

"I also would love to stick something right up the ass of the GB but I’m trying to think of just how to do it."

The lawsuits regarding child molestation among the JWs is a good start ... it will reach the point where the GB and their minions feeling like someone rammed a stick-shift coated with razor blades up their rectal orifices.

• Scully
    Scully

I think one of the BEST things exJWs can do is to educate people, in particular judges and lawyers especially, about the JW concept of "Theocratic War Strategy".

Once people are aware of the WTS's mandate that requires members to lie in order to protect the Organization, their testimony in court will become suspect on ALL COUNTS. If you can't trust someone to tell the truth on a witness stand in court when they've sworn to do so, then their cases will be thrown out of court.

We need to be able to use the legal system against them, the same way they used the legal system to wangle "rights" for themselves in the past. It will bring them to their knees eventually.

Love, Scully

In the desert things find a way to survive. Secrets are like this too. They work their way up through the sands of deception so men can know them. - The X Files

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My first post here.

The most effective ad ever for the 800-Why-1914 help-line was:
    "What is the real reason that so many Jehovah's Witnesses are leaving the Watchtower? Confidential, call 800-Why-1914"

cb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit