A Point Djeggnog Missed...

by Cameron_Don 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Cameron_Don
    Cameron_Don

A while back Djeggnog said to me...

"Evidently you want the readers of your book to believe what Jehovah's Witnesses believe[d] (down till 1919) to be a matter of embracing the beliefs of these dead men (Russell and Rutherford). But Jehovah's Witnesses embrace[d] the teachings of Jesus Christ, our living Lord."

"Captives of a Concept" presents 48 examples where Jehovah's Witnesses (Bible Students) did in fact embrace the beliefs of the now dead men Russell and Rutherford. None of the teachings mentioned in the book were "the teachings of Jesus Christ" as evidenced by they fact that Jehovah's Witnesses no longer teach any of them.

For whatever reason Djeggnog seems to have missed that important point in the book.

Don Cameron

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

He's heavily blinkered (at the very least) if not totally delusionally Watchtarded. If you've ever read any of his rambling posts on here you'll soon realise he falls outside of the spectrum we commonly know of as "normal".

He will never GET the point (any point) until he can for just once be HONEST with himself. I have yet to see any evidence whatsoever that he is capable of this transition.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

For whatever reason

He's captive to the concept that WT is God's Organization.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

People like djeggnog make no attempt to "get the point". His purpose on this forum is simply to misdirect vulnerable and unsuspecting JWs who may be lurking.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Try talking to a real live JW, feels much like talking with DJEggNog on this forum. An exercise in futility. They will red herring you until they get dizzy and then they claim "Well we're just going around in circles now". Yeah we are, because you dodge the questions all the time. Even thinking about it makes me frustrated.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Cognitive dissonance is uncomfortable. One way to alleviate it is for everybody around you to believe the same thing. This social reassurance of the impossible things you believe relieves much of the discomfort. This is why people in cults feel such a need to exclusively associate with members of the cult and convert everyone they meet. Not only that, but constantly trying to convert is an unconscious method of reciting the impossible belief until - like a word said over and over - it begins to lose its real meaning and just becomes rote. Rather than having to be dealt with on an intellectual level, it becomes like a nursery rhyme that we know the words to and can sing, but we have never stopped to think about what the words actually mean. Some are pretty horrible, when you examine what's being said.

I did notice he quit arguing with me about Nisan 14 vs. Nisan 15. The Society just throws it out there with a few blurbs from minority theorists. The fact that it's easily demonstrated that JWs are incorrect made him very uncomfortable talking about it, once he realized the cause was clearly lost and the Society is obviously wrong. The 607/587 thing is much murkier. The Society has fought tooth-and-nail for this, has turned over every rock for any nutter's parallel opinion, and flooded the literature with enough words to make it virtually impossible to tear down the arguments of anyone who wants the Society to be right about it.

Once someone puts the "teacher" hat on, it's very difficult to reason with them. I've tried it with JWs and Mormons who come to my door, fundies, JW family and acquaintances (there are no real JW friends), etc. It doesn't work, because you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Someone has to want to know the truth in order for the truth to be given to them. It takes a lot of will power to admit you're wrong and certain types of people would rather die than change their minds. The more you fight with them and back them into a corner, the more tightly they cling to their beliefs.

The psychological reasons for clinging to lies are as strong or stronger than clinging to them for money or power. It's my experience that many (or most) JWs have some kind of mental issue. Some have low self-esteem and crave the feeling of "success" and the false love and praise for toeing the cult line. Others are sociopaths who crave the man-made positions of authority and/or the superiority of believing they're in a tiny minority who will watch everybody else die at the hand of God for not listening to them.

Once you realize most JWs don't have rational reasons for adhering to the JW doctrines, it's easier to let go of an argument. It's impossible to reason with someone who is being unreasonable. Their belief is on a purely emotional level, so the only thing that will jar them loose of their death-grip on the group is an emotional event. Most ex-JWs are made by something traumatic happening to them; not a realization through study that "The Truth"™ isn't very truthful, at times. You just have to wait until they're thirsty, then lead them to the water. Eggie is obviously not stupid, but all that does is make him better at making intelligent arguments for beliefs he clings to for stupid, irrational, or possibly wicked reasons.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Djeggnogg loves to inflict verbal diarrhea on others through his writing. His posts contain nothing more than specious reasoning, sophistry, and downright falsehoods, for the most part. Like others of his kind, he believes that the best way to convince someone is to overwhelm him with words. The fewer of those words that address the point under discussion, the better he likes it. He quotes or paraphrases WTS propaganda to buttress his presentations--I can't dignify his spiels as real arguments--and hopes that his readers won't see that his thinking is not original. As leavingwt says, he toes the party line, and demands that others do as well.

When I realized that was his modus operandi, I refused to engage in any more threads with him. He claims to have had legal training. He uses that claim to try to browbeat and intimidate others; but I think most of us realize that whatever his education, he is a full-fledged charlatan, nothing more. He does provide one useful service for me, however. Whenever I see one of his posts, it is a potent reminder of why I have left the WTS cult and should never even remotely entertain the possibility of returning to it. It would indeed being like the dog that returned to its own vomit.

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

I thoroughly enjoyed Don Cameron's Captives of a Concept and have recommended it to others. I think what I appreciated most about it was the simple and direct way the book makes its points. Even a cursory reading will convince anyone that its contention that the WTS has not been, is not now, nor ever will be "God's organization" is valid. The reason Djeggnogg rejects its conclusions is very simple: "There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Quendi

• mouthy
    mouthy

I Too enjoyed Captives of a Concept....It was a great help to me during my withdrawal

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Captives of a Concept cracked my husband's mind open.

Thanks Don.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit