Went to the DC today...

by dontplaceliterature 20 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All of 19 baptized, with 13 of them children? (Or 14, or 15...) Nice to see those numbers sliding. Better than in the late 1980s--in my former congregation alone, 8 got baptized at the Grand Boasting Session I attended and another 2 at the preceding Big Boasting Session. This amounted to more than a 10% increase in that year alone--now, it is less than 0.3%. I hope the numbers end up reaching zero.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

There was a brochure released in two versions: dumb and dumber.

There was a revised version of the Young People Ask Volume One - I don't think anyone has had the fortitude to do a side-by-side comparison yet.

And there was a second "History of the JWs" DVD released.

That's it. Links were posted a month or so ago but if you can't find them, shoot me a PM with an email address and I'll send the book and brochures to you.

I don't recall if anyone has posted the DVD yet. Anyone? I still need it, too.

• shamus100
    shamus100

19 baptized out of 6500. How many died / left the circuit?

EXACTLY! :D

But then there are another couple of dunking sessions not accounted for.... ;)

• PenelopePaige
    PenelopePaige

BULLSHIT. Demons are a figment of the imagination

I understand that if you've never dealt with demons or the supernatural that you would not believe, but their are demons! I know me saying so, makes me sound like a nut, but THEIR ARE DEMONS. They are a very real thing!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

THEIR ARE DEMONS

This alone discounts your credibility.

Anyway, on the topic of baptized, I believe the one my wife attended had 28 dunked with around 5k there. I thought that was pretty bad but from a few of the other reports (I think someone reported only 12 with around 3,500 there) it looks like teens are being cautious despite ongoing WT pressure. Good for them!

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Did you attend one in the midwest by any chance?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I have heard some whacky explanations as to "what convinced me it was The Truth", but demon attacks? That one stands head and shoulders above the rest!

Bill.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I notice that very rarely are there ever details concerning the demonic. Demonic is used in common parlance with no reference to the supernatural or spirits. I believe they are very real to the sufferer. Mental illness is what pops into my mind. Hearing voices is a common symptom for schizoprehnia and bipolar disorder. Western culture tends to take these experiences figuratively. When a lawyer or law enforcement wants to test someone' s credibility, questions about details are asked in rapid fire succession.

How do you know your subjective experience is demons unless you compare it to the demonized and nondemonized? One of the problems with treatment of mental illness is that the person does not appreciate that s/he is ill. The unreal becomes a personal reality.

Many older women were burned alive b/c of witch accusations. Salem is only one of many hundreds, if not thousands. There is good proof that the witch mania had to do with property disputes and an African-American servant. For someone to blame demons nowadays seems extremely melodramatic.

I recall my deep fear of demons. If you were a good Witness, they would get you. If you were a bad Witness, they would get you. What is the difference? My fear was very real. I stayed up late every night scanning the room. Yet there are no photographs of demons. Rather than a red dude with a pitchfork, demons are supposed to be very attractive. So, was McCartney the demon Beatle?

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

PP- Prove it.

• Diest
    Diest

I got baptized at 18 to get everyone off my back....they start to wonder about you, and make comments about making the troof your own.....I didnt even think about how question #2 made me a made man in the WTS....only one way out my friend lol.(that is not to say I didnt understand disfellowshiping...more just not thinking about the question)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit