Not sure of what to do

by Girlie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Girlie
    Girlie

I have a very close JW friend who I have known for a number of years. She was like the big sister I never had, always looking out for me and was very helpful during my challenging moments.

We both came into the religion around the same time and both of us were pretty much fringe Dubs, just making the bare minimum to be considered JW in good standing. We were both liberal-minded and always shared our views of the borg and the hypocrisy we see (before I discovered "apostate" material online around 2007 that gave me a more open-eyed view of the "truth"). I felt that our bond was stronger than the religion itself. That was until 2009, when I told her about my concerns and discoveries about the religion and how I needed to take a "break". She understood and gave me my space, believing that I will return. Well, here we are two years later and no return.

Other than my parents, I cut off association with 98% of the JW I knew. Better to cut them out of my life than to play into their little shun games. However, with her, it is different. She still makes contact with me via text, email or will call me to catch up on old times since she no longer lives in the area. When she doesn't talk about JW, I am willing to talk to her. When she does, I will not respond or ignore. I know that the indoctrination is taking hold of her and even more so now that her son has been reinstated (another story that I won't go into).

I guess I post this because I am at a loss on what to do. Don't want to give up the friendship, but know it will come with a price of her trying to persuade me to go back to the vomit that I have no intention of returning to. What I would really like to do is sow a seed in her mind that will get her to think and hopefully see the lie for herself. Just not skilled enough to do so at the moment as I am still in research mode. I tried with her before, but it got a bit heated and I had to catch myself before it got worse. At any rate, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Girlie,

I know that seems tricky. Do you think she's communicating just to try to get you back in the religion? Or would she be your friend regardless, and the JW talk is just a natural topic because she is a witness?

• Girlie
    Girlie

Honestly CC, I really don't know. Lately, she has been sending me scriptural texts only, which is cool with me. But then she tend to do the JW talk, like when she texted me to let me know of her son's reinstatement she stated that she is so happy to be "serving Jehovah shoulder to shoulder" with her son. Then stated that I am next and that she'll be waiting for me to return.

And then, there are times when we can talk to one another and keep JW out of the discussion and just have real girl talk.

I would hope that we can remain friends outside of JW, but not sure.

• cult classic
    cult classic

When I left, I decided that I wanted only unconditional relationships. My siblings and I have remained close although they are still in and a handful of JW friends too.

What do you want from the relationship? I wouldn't cut her off just because she brings up JW stuff. But we know the routine. And I'd have a problem with her just wanting to "witness" me back into the religion.

edited : If she wants to continue JW talk, you should be free to inject your thoughts also, without it getting heated. Witnesses want everyone to sit complacent and take in their ideas without reciprocating...lol

• Girlie
    Girlie

That's what I want, CC. Unconditional friendship. I don't want to cut her off, but it may eventually lead to the dissolution of our friendship because I am contemplating a total removal from the borg with a DA letter. I guess for now, I will just go with the flow.

Thank you for your comments. Greatly appreciate it.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yeah if she's really on it, the DA letter will end the relationship. I think defining what we want in our relationships is key to moving forward after the borg. Fortunately, most people are not cult members so it gets easier to get our needs and desires met... lol

Good luck. I know it's hard. If possible try to engage her authentic personality as much as possible. She sounds as if she's in cult mode a lot.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Girlie. Have you read Steve Hassan's books (e.g., "Combatting Cult Mind Control") or Raymond Franz's books (e.g., "Crisis of Conscience")? Those books may give you ideas about how to interact with your friend while she is in non-cult mode. It is too bad that you cannot get your friend interested in some activity that she is passionate about and would divert her time and energy away from being a JW. Since your friend doesn't live in the area, your friendship may be transition anyways. Her being a JW makes it worse, because of her switching in and out of cult mode.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• Girlie
    Girlie

I have read CoC and am on the last chapter of Cult Control. Hassan has some wonderful suggestions and it is funny that I did not bother to think about that before posting this topic. You are right though. Since she is not in the area, I shouldn't really worry too much about the matter. She contacts me me more than I do her, but when I hear from her, those nostalgic feelings come over me. Thanks for the suggestion, ABibleStudent.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

If you keep the pattern of responding to and engaging in a conversation with everything non-borg related, and ignore everything borg-related, maybe she will get the message and keep your friendship borg-free.

If not, you have nothing to loose, she'll put you on her sh!t list anyway.....

-Yan

• Girlie
    Girlie

True, Yan. Time will tell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit