My wife's Grandfather has 3-6 months to live.....His humorous outlook

by drewcoul 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

My wife's 93 year old Grandfather was just diagnosed with leukemia. He and his wife go to a non denominational Christian church.

When the doctor told him that he needed Chemotherapy, he just said to the doctor, "I don't need any of that! I know where I'm going!"

He then said to his wife and the doctor, "I guess I don't need to worry about getting this place behind my ear looked at then.......Well I suppose I should have it cleaned up a little because people are going to see me laying there."

His wife then said, "You don't need it cleaned up, you're going to be laying there in the casket, no one will be able to see it."

They all had a laugh.

John (My step grandfather) is a great old man. He has a sharp mind and great memory. I have always enjoyed talking to him. He can tell you anything you want to know about Indiana high school basketball, and hasn't missed but about 3 games at his local high school since 1960.

My point is this: I never really understood how differently other Christians view death as opposed to Witnesses. As a Witness, I was always (and still am to an extent) afraid of death. Witnesses are concerned with "Did I DO enough to be resurrected?"

How much happier are people who have complete faith like John than others who have to hope they went out in field service enough, got enough hours, went to enough meetings, didn't sin too much, didn't ever grieve the Holy Spirit, etc....etc....etc.....

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

93 is a pretty good innings... the chemo would be more likely be the end of him rather than the cancer.

Nice to see they have a healthy outlook to death.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Because I have control issues, I am afraid of death, also.

I envy John and those who have his outlook.

Syl

• Robdar
    Robdar

There's a great saying: "God wants spiritual fruit and not religious nuts." I think your wife's grandfather knows the difference.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

It's good your wife's grandfather has a positive outlook regarding death.

The JW's view is different in 2 ways imo: first they are in denial about death itself. Being exposed all their lives to 'Armaggedon being just around the corner', they're not emotionally prepared to deal with this reality of life. Commenting on dead loved ones they say "we always hoped to make it together to the new system".

Secondly because they focus so much on works, (what they've done, what they shouldn't have done), they wonder whether they'll be worthy of the resurrection.

• carla
    carla

I understand his thinking but my jw cannot for the life of him understand that thought. He claims I am lying when I say I am not afraid of death and know where I'm going. I don't look forward to the process but not worried about the 'hereafter' part.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Christian outlook is far nicer. At death a JW goes to nothing, and so hopes that in the future God will remember to create a photocopy that will live in the new system. A Christian never dies, but the person they are continues on forever. It is also nicer for the survivors to think their loved ones are watching over them.

As a JW I thought only a JW had a hope. How wrong I was.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am glad he opted out of the Chemo I truly do believe it killed my Mell.

I ask every night to sleep & not awake. 93 I would say your Granddad is
    wanting to go also. I would prefer the "KISS OF the LORD" if I get that( passing in sleep)
    but however it is. I know it wasnt for all the WT & Awakes I placed or the bible studies i
    conducted( lies an all)but it because the old ticker has stopped ticking...

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Thank you Mouthy for your response. I always enjoy reading your posts. It's nice to hear from you again!!

Your friend,

-Drew

JWFacts- I agree with you that the Christian outlook is far nicer. That is the essence of the Good News, IMO.

NobleHeart- I feel the same way. We were always taught that death is the end, and all you have is "hope" of a resurrection, which in JW speak means you have to hope that you have done enough preaching, enough work for the organization and enough field service time, enough "responsibilities" inthe congregation for Jesus to remember you during the resurrection.

I was always taught that faith was "The assured expectation of things hoped for though not yet beheld" or something like that. It sounds nice, but John has really opened my eyes of what faith really is.

Broken Promises- "93 innings" is a nice way of looking at it. I'm going to use that term!

Snowbird- I do too, I'm going to work on that!

Robbie- You are right, I forgot about that one........You're right he knows the difference. Thank you.

Carla- It's tough to change your viewpoint of death and what it means even for your husband. I still have a hard time with it, but my wife kind of has the same attitude as her G-father. I hope I can develop the same attitude you have!

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I have always shared the same outlook as your wife's grandfather. Maybe that's why I didn't fit in as a JW.

Good for him to enjoy his last days rather than fear them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit