How do you reason with them?

by Walk On 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You'll want to read this book immediately.

'Combatting Cult Mind Control' by Steve Hassan (you can get it in paperback, used, for less than ten bucks)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0892813113/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1310865025&sr=8-1&condition=used

Please review this video playlist. Hassan is one of the speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL31EBFDF312B076EA

Your goal is to "empower people to think for themselves". One of your hurdles is getting them past their fears and phobias. One of these fears is a fear of apostate thinking/literature/websites. Until they can get past this, they will not be able to digest information that is critical of WT.

• designs
    designs

Let some anticipated event pass without the desired result and then ask them questions about it.

We were forced to face this post 1975, Evangleicals who thought the 1st Gulf War would bring on the Return of Christ had to face their failed expectations and look at Camping's followers now.

• ultrabimbo
    ultrabimbo

This reminds me of the joke, "What's the difference between a JW and a terrorist?" You can reason with a terrorist! tah dah!

Frank

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Walk On, the short answer is, "You can't reason with a JW!". I agree with leavingwt that you should read Steve Hassan's books (e.g., "Combatting Cult Mind Control"), and with troubled mind that you should be concerned about helping your daughter. The most you can do with a JW in cult mode is to ask questions that plant seeds of doubts. At least with your daughter, I hope that you are able to spend time with her doing fun activities with "Worldly" people and teaching her critical thinking skills.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• 30 years out
    30 years out

I agree with most of those who have posted earlier. There is no way to reason with a JW who is still a believer. The only ones you can hope to help are those who may still be seeking answers and have not yet submitted their reasoning capacities to the organization.

• Walk On
    Walk On

I am trying to plant those seeds of doubt. but I can't believe how difficult it is. (This is dealing with my ex) She says that while the men who run the society may be imperfect, they run it with gods spirit, and that none of us know when he will enlighten us or what his designs are, so even if they are wrong about doctrines, that was just gods plan. :O

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit