Resolution on JW Case in France

by Blind Willie McTell 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Blind Willie McTell
    Blind Willie McTell

EUROPEAN COURT OF HUMAN RIGHTS VINDICATES JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES IN FRANCE

The European Court of Human Rights published its unanimous ruling in our favour against the French Government's demand for 60% tax on donations back dated to 1993-1996 for $79 million. This will have great implications for other European countries who would like to do the same thing to us and effectively stop our work. They sought to obligate the Association of Jehovah’s Witnesses of France to pay 58 million Euros (over $82,000,000 US), which far exceeds all the assets of the Association. No other major religion in France has ever been submitted to such excessive taxation.

This was by no means an open and shut case, and the brothers had plans to deal with the situation if we lost. “We have always been confident that our position in this matter was correct. It was unjust for the government to use taxation as a weapon against the fifth largest religion in France,” said Michel Blaser, president of the Association of Jehovah’s Witnesses of France. Mr. Blaser also noted, “Jehovah’s Witnesses are scrupulously honest when it comes to paying taxes. The donations Jehovah’s Witnesses give to their religion should not be taxed any more than the offerings at any other church. This case is a victory for the human rights of all who live in France and hopefully will mark the end of religious harassment for residents of France who are Jehovah’s Witnesses.” ============================================= Please excuse me if this has been already posted. Blind Willie
  • truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

So instead of accepting the fact that they won the case and being happy they then have to go on the attack at the end of the statement and claim religious harassment.

This in turn will make the French Government want a further fight with them and find other ways of getting them.

Since when has paying taxes been a weapon when witnesses are all told to pay caesers things to ceaser and be obedient to the laws of the land? Perhaps it is because the Society rightly or wrongly portrays themselves as being anything but mainstream religion that they are subject to different treatment.

Remember this is the organization that called those who sued for child abuse "vindictive" and who refer to those with different opinion "diseased" and even those who claim to be of the remnant " have mental issues". That in itself is enough to provoke anger toward them.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The point was NOT that they had to pay taxes (according to WTBTS it was). The reason they had to pay taxes is because France no longer recognized them as a religion because they do no local service benefitting the community, send any voluntary contribution money to another country and because their blood and shunning policy is a dangerous aspect that doesn't belong in a religion.

I would like to read the full EHCR decision though and the effect it will eventually have on the French case (b/c the judge in those cases would have to accept the EHCR decision) or any consignments the WTBTS falsely made as they did in Bulgaria.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    The reason they had to pay taxes is because France no longer recognized them as a religion

But why is that a problem (may you all have peace!)? I mean, they're not a "religion", are they? I mean, isn't that what THEY say, that they're NOT a religion? Or a even a church??

Oh, wait...

It was unjust for the government to use taxation as a weapon against the fifth largest religion in France,” said Michel Blaser, president of the Association of Jehovah’s Witnesses of France. "... The donations Jehovah’s Witnesses give to their religion should not be taxed any more than the offerings at any other church."

Well... there you go. May the Holy One of Israel someday grant those within her some eyesalve and open the eyes of those poor misled "sheep"... before they wake up and realize they're really just another sect of "christendom"... and always have been.

Again, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• still thinking
    still thinking

Ha....well said Aguest...

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

I think the French government are privy to information we dont have, the taxed amount is said to be excessive but is it really? I would like to know what Frances government take on this is.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The donations Jehovah’s Witnesses give to their religion should not be taxed any more than the offerings at any other church.

This is a false statement, as JWs used to sell magazines, and so profits from book selling should be taxable. It is not unreasonable to tax profits that the Watchtower made. It became as high as it did because of penalties and interest. This would have been the case with any corporation that owed outstanding tax for so many years.

I think it is a shame that the courts are still unwilling to stand up to religion. Religion should be taxed on profits in the same way as any corporation is taxed.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    I think the French government are privy to information we dont have, the taxed amount is said to be excessive but is it really?

63% tax has got to be excessive for anything.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Will the Government of France return to the Association Of Jehovah's Witnesses the tax money they have paid? Yes-63% is excessive.

But this is an oppressive religion which should be banned.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is not the actual truth. I have not read the entire document. The tax rate was retroactive and very high. If European courts interpet light similar to common law, and I have no idea, the court did not rule on whether a tax paid forward at a lower rate was legal. It may be very limited to these specific facts. So from what I read, they won a round but by no means won the war.

They are not forthcoming about the issues they face in the present. France could simply modify its scheme to pass muster.

My father was at Bethel many years. When the farm did well, they prayed thanking Jehovah. When it did poorly, the kingdom farm did not exist.

What strikes me is how global the Society's reach is compared to when I was growing up. Their legal dept must be massive. I wonder if they out source the work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit