Where is it said , not to independently do deep study of scripture

by william draper 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    Crisis of Conscience

***w81 2/15 p.19 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible?***

Born in's can prove there religion:

*** sm p. 16 par. 4 The Need to Search for the Truth ***
    4 The man who truly surrenders himself to God is the one who carefully examines all aspects of the religion he was born into. If he finds it is true, he remains with it. But if he finds it is false, he sets out to find the true religion

7 Yes, we may have received our religion from our parents, and we respect our parents. We owe them much, and many of the things they have given us are very good. But that does not mean we have to accept everything they say without thinking. Our parents are human, as we are. They make mistakes, as we do. In fact, many of the problems that we have to live with today are because of things that our parents’ generation did. They did not do them deliberately to make things hard for us. They just made mistakes, because of being human.

8 Hence, a wise man will examine the things he has received from his parents, including his religion. He will keep the good things and reject those things that are not good. This is essential if he is to find the truth about religion.

• done4good
    done4good

Stuckinarut2- As the famous ToMo3 once said: "the GB are the most thinkingest people on the planet"

Did TM3 actually say that?

d4g

• Splash
    Splash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSj9Yr2mXuc

0:50 - 1:15 AM3 is mocking churches for keeping asking for money, saying "we don't ever want to get like that"

2:50 - 2:55 "Jehovah's people are the thinkingest people on the planet"

• done4good
    done4good

"Jehovah's people are the thinkingest people on the planet"

Not to split hairs on this point, however that statement is clearly a platitude directed toward the R&F, to make them "feel good" about themselves and the organization. If he said the same about the GB itself, it would indeed be the height of arrogance and narcissism.

Just making sure we are accurate here. This is the type of thing we get called on as "twisting" what the organization says.

d4g

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

And then John said "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

~ 1 John 4:1

And then Luke said “…explaining and proving by references that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, saying: “This is the Christ, this Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you.”

~ Acts 17:3

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks Splash I haven't seen that vid, thanks to JW Survey too, it's brilliantly put together.

These GB men who dare to assert people can leave the KH any time they like because they are not chained to it ! Liars, you can leave but they will keep your family. What kind of freedom is that?

Then he says JWs are the most thinking people in the world but in the same breath he says you have to do what the elders tell you because that's listening to God. There is no room for any kind of thought in that religion never mind independent thinking.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Thank you much fastJehu.

That's a great quote!

• richgirl
    richgirl
    Hi! I'm new here! It was the 2012 DC talk, "Do Not Test God in Your Heart" that confirmed my decsion to leave the organisation. In that talk the brother rather forcefully dictated that we must NOT do "independant" (outside WT sources) bible study with others, that we must NOT visit websites, produce our own literature, or learn Hebrew or Greek. He said "You KNOW the truth!". Then he implied that if we did those things we were apostate!! It seemed he was using bully tactics and threats. (The talk should really have been, "Don't Test the GB in Your Heart".) What immediately came to my mind was the "evil slave" beating his fellow slaves (not that I believe that interpretation any more). Anyway I walked out after that and didn't return.....after 22 years in.
  • CloseTheDoor
    CloseTheDoor

Elders always remind our congregation: Why should we ever even think of engaging in independent research when the Organization does all that for us?

Sheep to the slaughter.

• JWINQUESTION
    JWINQUESTION
    William you never got back to me about some of the religious questions I have through PM. Being an open minded atheist, this really puts me down as I am hoping to have a genuine and sincere discussion with theists. Do you just plan on ignoring me? I was nice to you from the start and and not as frank and rude as some atheists here (not all) but I just keep getting ignored so I asked you again to read my PM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit