Why the fetish with NICOTINE???

by sinis 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

Every time you talk to a Dub, craftily stick a patch on them, or offer them the gum, unwrapped of course, soon get them all at it !

We had a guy who got away with smoking for over thirty years, got D.F'd about 18 months ago, mind you, he was a bit blatant, he had a quick drag in the K.H bog once, and as my friend walked in, he flushed it away, and denied it was him ! said a "person of interest just left " LOL

I liked the guy, a bit thick, and still owes me money, but what the hell, the sad thing is I heard he is trying to get re-instated, silly bugger.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Most Dubs are so addicted to caffeine that it isn't even funny.

Nicotene in moderation may not be any worse.

Yet God will kill you for one and not the other. Right.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

If they were really about love they would do all they can to help people quit without disfellowshipping and shunning them.

I smoked a pack and a half a day for over 30 years and finally quit 2 1/2 years ago. I was about as addicted as anyone could be, but I did it with the patch and mental resolve. I would literally lose my mind if I went over 3 hours without one. If I can do it, anyone can.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

They put out a lot of soft warnings regarding caffeine. But let's face it, if they took a hard line on caffeine nobody would be able to carry the grueling schedule they expect the R&F to carry out! Who would really be able to get up super early for super early zealous morning service if they didn't get their fix? What would they do on break? They often say that caffeine and alcohol are different because they also have nutritious value--but they don't write against caffeine pills. I think if they had their way, they'd feed the flock on IV coffee if that would help them be more zealous.

NC

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think they have less enthusiasm for caffiene than nicotine as a banned substance simply because the Mormons are famous for banning caffiene drinks.

Witnesses always have to be different.

But wait - don't the Mormons also ban tobacco?

• sinis
    sinis

I know my father indicated (years ago) that the city overseer/CO/DO and some others, while in a meeting, indicated that at one time the "Society" was thinking of making caffeine a DF'ing offense but ruled against it at HQ because they figured they would lose too many people...

• undercover
    undercover
    I know my father indicated (years ago) that the city overseer/CO/DO and some others, while in a meeting, indicated that at one time the "Society" was thinking of making caffeine a DF'ing offense but ruled against it at HQ because they figured they would lose too many people...

I remember, as a youngster, that a rumor was floating around that at the next summer convention it was going to be announced that caffeine would be added banned, same as nicotine.

I remember that because as a youngster, I loved Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper and some locally made sodas. I dreaded the thought of having to give them up. Childish maybe, but hey, I was a child.

Anyway, the convention came and went and no announcement was ever made and the rumors died out.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    at one time the "Society" was thinking of making caffeine a DF'ing offense but ruled against it at HQ because they figured they would lose too many people...

So ironic (if that is true) that they could not see the deep hypocrisy in such a decision...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Nicotine is poison. What medical benefits? Name them with appropriate references. It kills people. Nicotine is extremely addictive. It addicts in multiple and subtle ways which makes it harder to defeat than heroin.

I always believed the Witnesses had the correct moral stance towards tobacco. The question is whether the Bible outlaws it? No, Jesus did, however, say to smoke weed, shoot drugs, etc. either. Alcohol is not a wonder substance, either. No nicotine is tolerated but alcohol is very elevated in the Bible, all the way to Christ' s first miracle at Cana.

If there is one area of the Witnesses for which I am grateful, it was the ban on nicotine. King James ? taxed it heavily b/c of its bad effects.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    If there is one area of the Witnesses for which I am grateful, it was the ban on nicotine. King James ? taxed it heavily b/c of its bad effects.

True enough that it is harmful -

But the point is this: Tobacco is a personal decision, but the Watchtower tried to put themselves in the place of God and make the decision for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit